• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.
Street fighter 89

In Progress Street Fighter 89 The Final Fight by Machok v3.7

No permission to download
The project is currently under development.
@machok,

You know the drill about third party downloads. Make sure to make a proper resource update here.

DC

@DCurrent
I upload the file nowhere else, only here 🤔
I choose "change resource type" and attach the file, did I upload in the wrong option?

@DCurrent
I upload the file nowhere else, only here 🤔
I choose "change resource type" and attach the file, did I upload in the wrong option?

Ahh... my bad. However, you don't have to change type just for an update. Next time, use Post an update. It let's you keep track of your versions, log changes, etc.

If you're unsure, just ask us. :)

DC

Next time, use Post an update. It let's you keep track of your versions, log changes, etc.
I avoided posting updates because this version is just an improvement, there are not too many additions
I see, will choose an update post next time

I avoided posting updates because this version is just an improvement, there are not too many additions
I see, will choose an update post next time

Even if it's small, use the update feature. It's more beneficial to you in a lot of ways.

I forgot to mention, it also makes the forum auto post for you and move your game to the top of latest list.

When you use change type, it's a replacement. Like starting over, and doesn't do anything to call attention. That's why I thought you used a third party.

DC

@machok

Hey buddy, I tried to make a full playthrough yesterday but for some reason unfortunately I was stuck in the Bay Area, maybe due to an enemy somewhere.
I was recording a video trying a no-death haha, but I died once for Edi.E and a few in the Industrial Area.

In the general aspect the game is becoming very solid even closer to the original compared with the last version I played, great job. Even the enemies' behaviour resembles the classic, using the same movements to flank you, plus the hit-pause resembles the same collision feeling. I can see that you really have a good knowledge about the franchise.

I played in a more "rush" style using and abusing all the mechanic can offer to look for issues or discover some possible tricks (I discovered one, will describe below)

I listed some points where maybe you could improve in case you agree, they are:

- make the custfade quicker in the levels.txt, the transition takes a long time between levels, a value of 70 may fit well
- the random "double punch" can be a bad thing sometimes, it does two punches with a single button press (if I'm not wrong I already reported if before)
- the running attacks can be abused a lot, as you can see in my playthrough, at least for Cody I was able to escape from many dangerous situations easily. A rebalance may be a good thing to consider
- there's a trick that can be abused by players, look at 18:20 (Sodom) or 49:08 (Rolento) in my video. In short, you can juggle any enemy forever using jumping attacks at the screen edge
- Rolento does not throw grenades during his jumps, if I'm not wrong in the original he does it at the end of his health
- if you like the idea, as a suggestion you could create a classic game mode with the same original mechanics (no juggle, running attacks, etc). As a Final Fight fan I would love to play in the classic style with all your expanded levels
- the counter attacks when you are receiving damage can break the strategy sometimes, it's very easy to perform it accidentally

Here's my playthrough, I hope it can be useful for you :)

Last edited:
I tried to make a full playthrough yesterday but for some reason unfortunately I was stuck in the Bay Area, maybe due to an enemy somewhere
Thank you for the report my friend, I just found out what the cause is 🤗

and a few in the Industrial Area
Yeah I saw your full video, after 2 first fire trap actually there's a safe line there :)

Even the enemies' behaviour resembles the classic, using the same movements to flank you, plus the hit-pause resembles the same collision feeling. I can see that you really have a good knowledge about the franchise.
Yes Final Fight arcade are my first love 😘 asked my dad to get me one for home and his face was like "seriously kid??" 🤭

- make the custfade quicker in the levels.txt, the transition takes a long time between levels, a value of 70 may fit well
I never knew about this, custfade do you mean about music?

C:
custfade {int}

{int} determines how long it takes for music to fade out.

- the random "double punch" can be a bad thing sometimes, it does two punches with a single button press (if I'm not wrong I already reported if before)
Really sorry you already give me solution but the original attack chain timing are really hard to duplicate so I need more time for this

- the running attacks can be abused a lot, as you can see in my playthrough, at least for Cody I was able to escape from many dangerous situations easily. A rebalance may be a good thing to consider
You mean like the player will stop running when the up direction is pressed?

For running, I am planning to use runstop script Solved - Script_Play slow down/stop run animation when running has stopped
but since i need to make new sprites for it so I pending the idea for a while

- there's a trick that can be abused by players, look at 18:20 (Sodom) or 49:08 (Rolento) in my video. In short, you can juggle any enemy forever using jumping attacks at the screen edge
It's exactly like this

No I didn't mean to do it on purpose 🤭 Thank you I'll include the jugglecost for those 2 anims.

- Rolento does not throw grenades during his jumps, if I'm not wrong in the original he does it at the end of his health
Yes Actually, Rolento do have granade mode (weapons) when his health is low.
but the infinite combo will prevent it, it seems that this jump kick move also prevents it.
Just like damnd, he won't jump to the wall if the player does an infinite combo just like the arcade version.

- if you like the idea, as a suggestion you could create a classic game mode with the same original mechanics (no juggle, running attacks, etc). As a Final Fight fan I would love to play in the classic style with all your expanded levels
Yes I will include improved version of v2.1 (classic arcade mode) in the future release 😘

- the counter attacks when you are receiving damage can break the strategy sometimes, it's very easy to perform it accidentally
I know this is like "easy mode" counter attacks but many casual players still find sf89 too difficult for them, so i think I need to keep it for now

I am using this button so it's easy to perform, you have any other suggestion my friend?
C:
    cancel    0 3 0 f a freespecial49
    cancel    0 4 0 f a freespecial49

Here's my playthrough, I hope it can be useful for you :)

Yes this is very helpful to me, thank you very much 🥰🤗

*btw Kratus I really wanted players can grab enemies in screenedge and near wall, is the script is complicated to make?

Then there is hitbox issue that was mentioned by Mr.Q
It's not an hitbox issue, I did design it that way with z depth 0

Have you added the forcedirection-1 yet?
yes I've added a lot but not all of them since I don't like some enemies fall looks weird when using -1
this one for example, I want enemy fall stay like this

spe__4.gif
I know this is not good for combos but sf89 is more aimed at casual beat em up players / retro style like myself.

Reactions: NED
I never knew about this
I could swear that custfade only works with music, not the stage fade itself. At least, its what the documentation says.
@machok @O Ilusionista Some time ago I accidentally discovered when reading the source that the custfade also controls the level transition.

You mean like the player will stop running when the up direction is pressed?
Not exactly, I mean all the running attacks specially for Cody the front running attack (I saw that there's a down/up running attacks too). Look at my video how many times I abused it to avoid taking damage.
Once these new moves are not present on the original, you can create any system you want. Example, it could be a cost (mp maybe) or you could add a long delay at the end to make players vulnerable, so they will think twice before abusing it and will try to use it only at the proper time.

It's exactly like this
Yeah 😅

Yes Actually, Rolento do have granade mode (weapons) when his health is low.
but the infinite combo will prevent it, it seems that this jump kick move also prevents it.
Just like damnd, he won't jump to the wall if the player does an infinite combo just like the arcade version.
It makes sense, I held him in the infinite combo and he was not able to perform the grenade move. I said it because he made some wall jumps like in my video but now I understand that the health was not enough to trigger the grenade mode.

I am using this button so it's easy to perform, you have any other suggestion my friend?
In this case I suggest changing to another button, this way people can perform it with a clear intention of escaping from enemies.

It sends me to another idea I had now. Maybe you could move all the running attacks, counter attacks and eventually any super move to a 4th separated button. This way people who do not want to use any new feature can simply skip the button and play using the classic commands only.

I know that the classic has only two buttons in most arcade machines, but some of them (at least in my country) had a 3rd button to escape from Andore grabs and perform special moves. So we can consider those three buttons as a classic mode too.

*btw Kratus I really wanted players can grab enemies in screenedge and near wall, is the script is complicated to make?
I never tried to change it because I think it's good engine behaviour to avoid entities getting stuck. I need to look in the source to understand what happens when you are near the wall/edges in order to create a way to prevent it.
As soon as I have any results I will post here.

Some time ago I accidentally discovered when reading the source that the custfade also controls the level transition.
oh wow, so I have to update the manuals about it. Really thanks for the info

It's not an hitbox issue, I did design it that way with z depth 0
If I am not mistaken, when you put Z as 0, the engine revert to the default value. As it does with a lot of stuff, like "agreession 0".
yes I've added a lot but not all of them since I don't like some enemies fall looks weird when using -1
this one for example, I want enemy fall stay like this
Yeah, on that case, I won't use forcedirection -1.

@Kratus wow, custfade works in a very strange way.

custfade {int}
{int} determines how long it takes for music to fade out. Also, also controls the level transition fade time.

First, its a set command (you have to change it on a set in your levels.txt, not on the stage file itself).
Second, I was trying to make the fade faster than 70 and I saw that numbers less than 50 looked to be ignored

custfade 50

So I want ahead and tried this:

custfade 10

But instead of making the fade to be faster (since the value is smaller), it makes the opposite effect - the fade took forever.

Them I decided to use a bigger value

custfade 200

And now the fade is as fast as I wanted too.
Any reason for this reversed logic?

Back
Top Bottom