Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2017, 08:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Intrepid Izzy

• 38 Replies

Offline Roel

• Senile Team
    • Senile Team
Re: Intrepid Izzy
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »
We made a video demonstrating the animation process!

Offline GaBoTiCo

• OpenBOR Rookie
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
That was cool!
W.I.P:

TMNT 8-bit: An 8-bit style game based "mostly" on TMNT2 for NES with "slightly" better graphics.

Download DEMO:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axkhm7tl3i8mlc1/TMNT%208-Bit%20Recolored%20%2812-25-2015%29.zip?dl=0

Offline Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »

At this point I'm more impressed with your devkit than anything else. You could probably make a fair bit if you took that to market.

DC
Projects in progress are now available here: https://github.com/DCurrent

Offline erf_beto

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »

At this point I'm more impressed with your devkit than anything else. You could probably make a fair bit if you took that to market.

DC
I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Roel

• Senile Team
    • Senile Team
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 02:13:47 AM »

DC
I was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps, but it's not something I'm willing to invest in to find out.

Anyway, new video! Just a short one this time.

Incase anyone's interested, to prevent repetitiveness, the algorithm always picks a random sound except the one that was last played.

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
Nice work! Something which crossed my mind is: Why DC can handle your game but struggle to run the most updated OpenBOR? Maybe because your game is optmized for it?

Offline Roel

• Senile Team
    • Senile Team
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
Nice work! Something which crossed my mind is: Why DC can handle your game but struggle to run the most updated OpenBOR? Maybe because your game is optmized for it?

Well, that's a good question, but I'm afraid I am no longer sufficiently familiar with OpenBOR's code and features to adequately answer it.

I can confirm, though, that I did spend a significant amount of time optimising the Dreamcast-specific parts of my code, but really that is only a tiny fraction of what makes the game run fast. The most important optimisations are in the platform-independent parts: minimising the number of collision checks, pre-calculating and pre-parsing as much as possible, avoiding int-float and float-int conversions (in fact this game uses fixed-point maths almost exclusively), and being generally frugal with RAM. I didn't do that specifically for the Dreamcast, it's all just force of habit I suppose. I actually developed the game for PC initially, but when I compiled it for the DC it ran almost perfectly on the first try.

By the way, some people may think I'm a loony for using fixed-point arithmetics when most floating point operations are just as fast. One reason I already mentioned: converting between float and int is unavoidable, and much slower than is often assumed. The other is that my game engine supports huge, and I do mean HUGE levels - so much so, in fact, that it could potentially run into precision issues if I'd used plain old floating points. I've never actually built such levels, and perhaps I never will, but at least I know that I could do so without breaking the engine. I wouldn't recommend using fixed-point for OpenBOR, though.

Offline esn23

• Atlas
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:55 AM »
wow that animation editor is awesome..
WIPS

Offline Roel

• Senile Team
    • Senile Team
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 02:40:15 AM »
wow that animation editor is awesome..