Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 04:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DBZ Tournament

• 23 Replies

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
DBZ Tournament
« on: December 10, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »
Here is a 1 on 1 fighting game for Openbor based on the Dragon Ball Universe.

many dbz games made on the licence don't capture the essence of the battles from the shows. so I am trying to do something that plays true to the combat from show and also has some strategy and depth required instead of traditional brawling.

you cant block so you need to use your dodging to evade attacks as well as charging your Ki to be able to shoot projectiles, do special moves and transform to stronger version of player.

Game has many cutscenes when special moves are performed to enhance visual style

let me know what you think and everyone feel free to contribute, more characters, tweaking code, adding scripts etc.

http://gamejolt.com/games/dragon-ball-z-tournament/168165

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:38:18 PM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes
http://store.steampowered.com/app/529000/

see more of my games and projects at
www.thatcherproductions.org

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
Re: DBZ Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
Ive just uploaded a small update to this beta demo (keep in mind this is a experimental game and is in early stages), found some people struggled with the strategic nature of charging KI durring battle so made it a bit faster, also have done a few minor tweaks.

Unsure what else can be done on core of game to make more 'fun' and unique whilst having a DBZ vibe. Goal is to not feel like a traditional Openbor beat em up game and yet not a traditional fighter also. (there was a cool 3d robot game in the arcades back in the day- maybe a Gundahm game? where you would have to attack and evade enemy and plan your moves strategically- guess thats the vibe im going for here)

Do not try to play this game like a traditional Openbor game or you will struggle. it will take a while to adjust but the gameplay style here is very different and requires alot of movement and dodging and trying to react to what enemy is doing. (Also read the how to play in game !)

If anyone has suggestions or feedback on the core gameplay let me know. Next thing for me to do i guess is just add more characters and flesh out the tournament mode some more (and add more music and sounds etc)

Thanks to the various modders who helped thus far- particularly with the Ki charging feature.

keep in mind this is a little side project game so isnt being worked on constantly and isnt a priority of mine.  I welcome anyone to jump on board with development and add to the game or use it as a base etc

Known bug/s
- players are somehow able to go past stage confines sometimes and can travel too far up or down outside of screen. dont know what cause is.
-zoom feature isnt as good looking as id like and can crash/force close engine if you pause and exit game during a zoom moment
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:27:33 PM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes

Offline nedflandeurse

• I think I'm feeling better, but frozen project ATM
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »
Nice!
I really love what you did with these awesome sprites.
Good looking game, with nice touch with anime parts.

But gameplaywise, it's really not my cup of tea. Very very unstable and all.
THis is my own opinion.

Even if I like the game itself. I think I will watch a letsplay when it's completed.
It's too "hard" and unstable to me.

BTW a nice touch would be to use classic DBZ music, anime themes, these are the best. Unlike the new to me.

Glad to see something new about DBZ universe. :)
(ON HOLD) my game system. W.A. Project. (ON HOLD)

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »
OK so i re uploaded demo with a few teaks to smooth out some things, i also removed zoom feature as it was buggy and couldn't figure out how to fix it

theirs still some issues I want to iron out but unsure what root cause is.

1) players weapons (transformed versions) are not restricted to stage limitations and can travel up and down beyond screen confines....
http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=3352.msg46301#msg46301
2) falls are unpredictable. i edit dropv yet doesn't always make a difference- maybe its gravity options or something

I want the knockdown attacks to feel epic and have opponents launched into air or smashed across the screen depending on move.

Although this is just a hobby project its irritating me to not know what the issue causes are or how to fix them.
Bad ass babes

Offline Kurisu

• Stronger than steel!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:08:11 AM »
I want the knockdown attacks to feel epic and have opponents launched into air or smashed across the screen depending on move.

AFAIK, for air launchers, the values for the Y coordinates should be like this:
   attack.reaction.fall.velocity.x 1.5
   attack.reaction.fall.velocity.y 15.5

Not sure about the actual values of the Y coordinates, but that's the string I use. I code everything using the newer syntax (from build 4183 and beyond) because not only it's less buggy, it helps me to check for errors and crazy stuff in the chars.

For the "smash across the screen" stuff, you just need to set a high value for "fall.velocity.x".
Making my first mod!

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:30:18 PM »
Good news a game breaking bug was identified as a engine issue so changed version to most current and all is working as intended.

so have reuploaded with this and other fixes (tweaked piccolo specials offsets, added piccolo super transform, sensu bean revives changed- each has slight different animation also)

its a fun little project to work on as a break so now that biggest issue is fixed ill focus a bit more time on it.

known issues
- there is a invisible barrier/wall that appears on right side of upper screen of frieza stage for some reason (it is not coded) unsure of what cause is
(could it be because in level i have blocked    1 declared ? guess it doesnt work properly when maybe the video size is too big ?)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:12:32 PM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 01:09:53 AM »
(could it be because in level i have blocked    1 declared ? guess it doesnt work properly when maybe the video size is too big ?)

blocked 1 is very old and outdated command. I don't know why you use that, but it's better to use wall command instead

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:31:23 AM »
Ok so have reupdated demo. you can now charge your ki meter and press down, forward then attack and perform a teleoprting attack combination- it cost same as ki shot and is great for up close and personal attacks. Each character has this move implimented.

FYI each character has same health amount but has varying speed and power (Goku is strongest but slowest, vegeta is mid range whilst piccolo is weakest but fastest)

So whats planned next?
-add sounds and music files
-add cutscenes for piccolos special attacks
-then add more enemies and potentially playable characters also
-then after all thats is done consider if theres anything else to add to game (maybe a vs mode)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:50:58 PM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:34:15 AM »
ok so have started to add voices and its going to blow up the overall size of game... but sounds good (Vegeta has all voice files as does nappa so check it out)

I think game is shaping up nicely, with the changes ive been implementing it should be more easier and enjoyable for new players to succeed in game.

FYI how to play screen hasn't been changed yet to mention the down, forward attack now available (cost same amount of ki/mp as a ki blast does)

If someone could play current version and let me know what they think thatd be great, in particular I'm wondering if combat is enjoyable and strategic.

over the next few days ill be working hard on this game to finalise voices and fix up game as much as possible so can have a 1.0 release of the game

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:02:01 PM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes

Offline theoz

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »
I have test your game :) The Follow Feedback:

Positive Poits

1 - I liked the combos, fast and easy to make. Picolo was very fast, and very sharp blows.  :)

2 - Nice Hitflashs, cool explosions, amazing sounds and Gifs moves.  ;)

3 - Very dynamic charge  :D

4 - RunAttack very fast and efficient.  ;D

5 - I Enjoy the Effects of Blue Light on Namesusei  ::)

Negative points

1 -  Could YOU create a story mode style. It does not make sense to fight against nappa IF YOU ARE VEGETA. If you chose Vegeta as player, the correct is start fighting vs Goku/Picolo. But if player chooses Goku/Picolo, then he  can fight against the Napa as enemy. This is the correct!  :P

2 - Why is Radits in Namekusei? Radits never went to Namekusei. Radits should be the first enemy because his fighting power is less than that of Napa.

3 - Try to create more than 3 layers for the Stage, Background, Bglayer, Panel, Frontpalnel, Fglayer. This becomes more realistic. Try to make the stages bigger...Because if you are using only "aaa" gets very repetitive as the "Goku's Ship" and the "Ginew toad" are always passing and passing the some image again.  :'(

4 - Where is the scenario interaction? Rock as obstacles...etc! :-[

5 - Where is the GrabAttacks, Throwns ... Grabup, grabdown? ???

6 -The game is very difficult, Napa is extremely overpower. The nopain in Napa do not make sence. ??? Why the napa is with nopain? Try to add more combos to the nappa, with only the last blow that knocks the opponent down. :'(

7 -The photo of the vegeta is that of the Boo saga, but the vegeta that appears to play, is the vegeta of the saga Cell. :o

Now the rest. Good game. Keep working! :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:20:19 PM by theoz »

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »
thanks for feedback

-yes levels will be more detailed, ive updated all levels so you can see difference (more tweaks to be done in final version)
-have switched order of opponents and location you face them (Captain Ginyu will end up opponent on Namek when I finished btw)
-have weakened nappa so he isn't invulnerable to light attacks- my idea was he was so big so should be slow and powerful, but since this change ive increased his speed a bit also and given him a projectile move.
-I do want destructible environments- but unsure best way to do this as the stages are supposed to look flat (illusion that are players going up and down stage) (have included mountains in desert level and trees and ship on Namek)

some keyboards don't recognise chargeattacks and I know a lot of people complain about this when playing openbor games so I may change chargeattacks to a command of down, up then attack to make easier

BTW story is an alternate universe/timeline, where all villains are still alive/ returned to life and an agreement is made with everyone that only way to settle this ongoing fighting is through an organised tournament (like the cell games) if you loose then you no longer can seek your claim to the dragon balls. Enemies have been ressurecetd multiple time son the series and on DB super so this isn't an outrageous concept in current universe/timeline either.

oh and grabattacks wont work well with this gameplay sorry.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:41:23 AM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »
oh and grabattacks wont work well with this gameplay sorry.

Well, instead of default grab then pummel, why not make a attack which if it connects, it will grab opponent then throw/pummel him

Could YOU create a story mode style. It does not make sense to fight against nappa IF YOU ARE VEGETA

I agree with this idea. The current mode should be free mode in which anyone could fight every possible character (including clone of himself)
 Though for story mode, it might be complex since you will need to create alternate branches with its own opponents to defeat
 I have script to change path based on chosen character BTW :)

Offline darknior

• OpenBOR Developer
  • Life is game, just play it
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »
Excellent idea :)
Thanks for this work

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
ok game has been updated

piccolos super mode now has a new final special move- he can make a clone of himself !

have added some tweaks to stages and included new stage

Captain Ginyu is a new opponent to face.

still need to add music, voices and more sounds but thatll all come later. Next up will be android 18 as a enemy and then trunks as a playable character. then will return to music, sounds and voices and finalise a official 1.0 release. (then go back to work on my game Bad ass babes 2, and in spare time work on adding more enemies to this game like Buu and maybe Beerus)

if anyone here can make a gameplay video id be interested to see how people play- I saw a mate play the game and he struggled at first alot. i thought he would never get good at it but then he suddenly started to work out a strategy for each opponent and was enjoying game alot. (maybe i need a tutorial level ?)

BTW keep running into various problems and its mostly because the attack boxes need to be a certain depth to look like they are not missing so if anyone uses my data as a base keep in mind that you don't normally need a depth of 80 or a 100 lol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:00:31 AM by nsw25 »
Bad ass babes

Offline nedflandeurse

• I think I'm feeling better, but frozen project ATM
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
ok game has been updated

piccolos super mode now has a new final special move- he can make a clone of himself !

have added some tweaks to stages and included new stage

Captain Ginyu is a new opponent, he isn't fully finished though as still need to do 1 more cut scene and more tweaking. was also thinking maybe he should be able to morph into playable characters like shang tsung does- unsure how I would do this though and worried will make him too hard.

still need to add voices and more sounds but thatll all come later. Next up will be android 18 as a enemy and then trunks as a playable character. then will return to music, sounds and voices and finalise a official 1.0 release. (then go back to work on my game Bad ass babes 2, and in spare time work on adding more enemies to this game like Buu and maybe Beerus)

if anyone here can make a gameplay video id be interested to see how people play- I saw a mate play the game and he struggled at first but then he started to work out a strategy for each opponent.

Nice to see some progress!!
You rock nsw25.
And I'm pretty hyped by 18 :)
(ON HOLD) my game system. W.A. Project. (ON HOLD)

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6400
  • Latest: Patata
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46073
  • Total Topics: 3161
  • Online Today: 56
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0