Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 02:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Demo] Mega Man Armada [updated 7/5/2017]

• 25 Replies

Offline NickyP

• The man of many useless talents.
    • NickyP's BOR site
[Demo] Mega Man Armada [updated 7/5/2017]
« on: April 23, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »

Download: http://gamejolt.com/games/mega-man-armada/178576
Chronocrash: Coming soon!
Mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/?bj9a3fy2m1vcyon

UPDATED: 7/5/2017

Here's the changelog:
-Improved jumping physics to closer resemble NES MegaMan gameplay (thanks Bloodbane!)
-Added stage: TomahawkMan
-Added playable character: Captain America [Unique]
-Added playable character: Spiderman [Shooter]
-Added playable character: Deadpool [Shooter]
-Added playable character: Ekoro [Mixed]
-Added playable character: Fox [Shooter]
-Added new enemies/enemy projectiles
-Added FireMan to Boss Rush mode
-Updated Mario's walk cycle
-Updated Luigi's walk cycle
-Updated Gunvolt's walk cycle
-Updated CutMan's walk cycle
-Updated Gunvolt's lightning attack animation
-Adjusted stage hazards in CutMan and AirMan stages
-Adjusted collision damage on enemies that mistakenly didn't have any
-Updated credits.txt to include two more custom sprite illustrators
-Updated unique-movelist.txt to include Captain America

Guess who?

Mega Man Armada is a game I've talked about wanting to make since the early Lavalit days. The demo you see before you is the product of five years worth of screwing around with different gameplay styles. To say that I've technically made this game from scratch twenty times is an understatement. If you remember my old "Mega Man: The Power War" mod, then this one is the fully realized idea.

The concept of the game is, essentially, NES Mega Man with four players. I won't promise 1:1 NES game physics or technical aspects, but if you like NES games, you'll feel at home here. There's over 40 playable characters, because obviously I'm a masochist, and several different play styles.

Generally, there are four character types: Shooter, Slasher, Mixed, and Unique. The first three are the archetypes, and characters within the type class are clones of each other. Unique characters, naturally, have unique moves and properties. Please refer to movelist.txt and unique-movelist.txt to learn how to play.

Apologies if the demo is relatively short. I haven't worked on it in a long time, and I figured it'd be a shame to just sit on it when you guys could have fun.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:41:47 PM by NickyP »

Offline betterbold

Re: [Demo] Mega Man Armada
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
Amazing !!!! ;D
I love megaman and your games !!

Offline darknior

• OpenBOR Developer
  • Life is game, just play it
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »
Excellent, i love the idea :D

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Baddest Sonic Fan Alive
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
Dat roster though. Looks great, I'll have to try it soon.   ;)

x)

Offline NickyP

• NickyP's BOR site
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
Dat roster though. Looks great, I'll have to try it soon.   ;)

x)

I'm 99% positive you're one of the select few people here who already tried it.  ;D Or was this not one of the million betas I used to PM you?

I think there was only two stages when you played it... there's three now.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:54:22 PM by NickyP »

Online Miru

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »
From what I can gather, I don't think Nintendo will be happy about you using their characters in the roster...
Here to sprite.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:20 AM »
 Interesting, I'll give this a try :)

Offline Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:38:21 AM »
Approved, and great to see you Nicky P!  :D

DC
Projects in progress are now available here: https://github.com/DCurrent

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Baddest Sonic Fan Alive
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:26 AM »
I'm 99% positive you're one of the select few people here who already tried it.  ;D Or was this not one of the million betas I used to PM you?
I think there was only two stages when you played it... there's three now.
Yeah I played it, just didn't want to sound off about it.  ;D
Nice to know there's..... 1 more stage.  :P

From what I can gather, I don't think Nintendo will be happy about you using their characters in the roster...
I didn't even think about this, but Miru has a point Nicky. Nintendo has been steamrolling people on this issue, hence the reason why Samus will no longer be a part of Cosmic Damage when I work on it again, as my plans to include Fox and Falco are shot. At this point, I'll most likely refrain from using any Nintendo related characters in my mods from now on.

x)

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »
 I've played it and I could clearly see some problems (small and big ones)  but overall it's playable and fun to play :)
 Still had so many characters to try though

Offline NickyP

• NickyP's BOR site
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
Approved, and great to see you Nicky P!  :D

Great to be seen, DC.  :) Thanks!

Everyone, I've added the Chronocrash download link to the first post.

Nice to know there's..... 1 more stage.  :P

One's better than none!  ;)

I didn't even think about this, but Miru has a point Nicky. Nintendo has been steamrolling people on this issue, hence the reason why Samus will no longer be a part of Cosmic Damage when I work on it again, as my plans to include Fox and Falco are shot. At this point, I'll most likely refrain from using any Nintendo related characters in my mods from now on.

I doubt that Nintendo will come after me for custom sprites of their characters. I also doubt this short demo will catch their attention to begin with, honestly. But hey, if the Big N contacts me, then good--I've always wanted to work for their legal team, and having a little Fair Use battle with them may convince them to bring me on board. ;D Of course, that would mean I'd have to take the Washington State Bar Exam... but if Nintendo is hiring, I'll take it tomorrow!

I've played it and I could clearly see some problems (small and big ones)  but overall it's playable and fun to play :)
 Still had so many characters to try though

I see.  :) I hope, in spite of those issues, you had an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I haven't worked on this mod since December of 2016, but feel free to let me know what it is I can do better!

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
Nice Idea. I had a project with the same idea (using Megaman styled characters from many franchises called Megaman Bit Of Destiny), but it was a versus fighting game

Keep the good work
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:04:42 PM by O Ilusionista »

Offline NickyP

• NickyP's BOR site
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
I'm aware! I probably should have asked you first, but... a few of the characters in the game were taken from sheets I found in your thread for Bit of Destiny. I made sure to credit the authors and the Mugen project itself in the credits.txt file, and I assume that's acceptable, but I apologize I didn't clear it with you sooner.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
 Okay, here are problems I spotted from this mod, I hope you can get time to do my suggestions below :)

Small:
1. Birds & other flying enemies movement isn't smooth. Using jumpframe is best to replace move if you're using the latter
2. Spike traps in Metal Man stage isn't covered properly. You can use fglayer to cover the chain
3. Horn traps in Air Man stage need longer delay when they hides. This is to make it more convincing that the path is safe

Big:
1. Boss fight room is too small. I suggest enlarging it to make it fit the screen. For Cutman's room, remove the 2 rocks
2. The wavy thing can't fall to holes. Setting subject_to_hole 1 might solve this but I suggest updating its AI to simply move continuously ignoring anything in its path
3. Cutter tosser need to have lower toss rate or at least a brief pause between tossing to give chance for players to walk past them safely

Suggestions:
1. Just like in Megaman series, enemies should drop health item. You could add a randomizer to spawn bigger health item ;)
2. Related to #1, enemies could drop score items too
3. Like in Megaman series, you should have enemy spawners. Oh yes, there's one spawner already, you should add more :)
4. Spawn You Win message after boss has vanished from screen
5. Gave everyone move while jumping ability (currently everyone can't move after static jump). You can copy keyall.c script from Castlevania collab demo

That's for now :)

Online alucard2009

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »
Thanks for the demo.It's good to see you comeback NickyP.it's possible to create an android version,please?

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6410
  • Latest: KingWei
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46128
  • Total Topics: 3162
  • Online Today: 46
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online