Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 01:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zoom Out Woes

• 12 Replies

Offline mersox

Zoom Out Woes
« on: March 19, 2016, 11:22:27 PM »
Hi guys. I am trying to implement a zoom out feature in my game, sort of what the Spider-Man arcade game had. Check it out at minute 2:30 --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Y80vd0Qgk

However, in my case, when zoomed out the game doesn't show you a bigger field compared to when you play at normal size:

Here's the zoom out "char" that I created and spawned in the level:

name    zoomout
type    none
subtype  noskip
setlayer 999
shadow    0

anim idle
loop      0
delay     10
offset    0 0
frame     data/chars/misc/empty.gif
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomentity" getlocalvar("self")
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomx" 0
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomy" 0

@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 260
   frame   data/chars/misc/empty.gif
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 250
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 240
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 230
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 220
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 210
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 200
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 190
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 180
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 170
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 160
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 150
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 140
@cmd setglobalvar "zoomvalue" 130

delay 1
@cmd   killentity getlocalvar("self")

EDIT: I forgot to clarify that I would like to be able to see the stage beyond the black bars... any ideas on what I can do to solve this?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:49:12 PM by mersox »

Offline oldmanwinters

• Long-time lurker...
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Re: Zoom Out Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:31:07 PM »
I always believed that 2D games that boasted such features must be the pinnacle of programming wizardry!

This would be amazing to see in an OpenBOR game, but I've never seen anything like it yet.
Long-time lurker, part-time fan artist:
oldmanwinters.deviantart.com

Offline mersox

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:47:48 PM »
I always believed that 2D games that boasted such features must be the pinnacle of programming wizardry!

This would be amazing to see in an OpenBOR game, but I've never seen anything like it yet.

If I'm able to pull it off, I will use this feature in a room of the Technodrome where you'll face the robots from Enter The Shredder :D
(as well as another top secret enemy that as of now only Powder knows about). If I can't pull it off... I guess I'll just reduce the size of the robots :/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:52:00 PM by mersox »

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:11:45 AM »
the zoom out should be 100%, so start the stage zoomed in. otherwise there needs to be more in the image to zoom out too.

edit:

a rough example, the red is the zoomed in part, when you zoom out the entire map is seen.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:20:23 AM by BeasTie »

Offline mersox

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:43 AM »
the zoom out should be 100%, so start the stage zoomed in. otherwise there needs to be more in the image to zoom out too.

edit:

a rough example, the red is the zoomed in part, when you zoom out the entire map is seen.

The background I am using is bigger than what openbor shows. Using your example, if I were to zoom out, everything outside the red square would look black. It's weeeeeird, man.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »
Not sure, but I've messed with this before, OTOH, you can't go outside the original resolution the mod is at, so you are zooming the 320x240 allocated screen space, it will always be black outside this area. 

I don't think u can achieve what you want the way you're trying to do it.  :(

you have to be zoomed in on the red part to begin with, so you're reverting back to 100% zoom, not zooming out. 

- The stage images and chars could be re-scaled in this stage and mixed with zoom to get the desired effect you want.  (instead of just zooming out, 2x size everything first in photpshop)
- The entity controlling the zoom might work better as a screen panel entity, so it can be perfectly centered on the screen, instead of zooming on the player, like in my example.

Offline mersox

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:46 PM »
Not sure, but I've messed with this before, OTOH, you can't go outside the original resolution the mod is at, so you are zooming the 320x240 allocated screen space, it will always be black outside this area. 

I don't think u can achieve what you want the way you're trying to do it.  :(

you have to be zoomed in on the red part to begin with, so you're reverting back to 100% zoom, not zooming out. 

- The stage images and chars could be re-scaled in this stage and mixed with zoom to get the desired effect you want.  (instead of just zooming out, 2x size everything first in photpshop)
- The entity controlling the zoom might work better as a screen panel entity, so it can be perfectly centered on the screen, instead of zooming on the player, like in my example.

I see what you mean and I was afraid this would be the case. Oh well. Thank you for your reply, BeasTie.

Offline Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
BeasTie is right, you have to plan around it from the start... and incidentally, this is true of ALL games that have that feature. You can't just build a normal level and zoom it out - resolutions don't work that way. You have to design the entire stage, if not the whole game around having this feature. That's true no matter what you're using. It's a HUGE PITA and why you don't often see it in 2D games.

At least with OpenBOR you can go in either direction. Most of the time developers were limited to one way or the other. The Neo-Geo is a great example - it could only go smaller, not bigger. "Zoomed in" sprites and stages were drawn that way, then scaled back down as needed.

IOW, yes you can do this with OpenBOR, and you've got it better than developers did back in the day, but it's still by no means easy and you'll probably have to start from scratch to make it work.

DC
Projects in progress are now available here: https://github.com/DCurrent

Offline kdo

• OK!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
Is there some mod using this zoom out effect?

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
My Avengers mod has it.

Offline kdo

• OK!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »
@Ilu's, Did you use it in the level bigining ( zoom out) and special moves (zoom in) ?

I was thinking in something like  this video shows, its an exeple of zoom entity in construct 2,  im realy interested in something like this in openbor engine.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:09:54 PM by kdo »

Online msmalik681

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:11:27 AM »
Having a level zoomed in would look pixelated then when you zoom out it would be normal. I think having a seperate level picking up where you left off would be better just resize the background and use drawmethod on heroes.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 12:24:31 AM »
@kdo - yeah this can be done using the zoom script, you would just have to setup something to trigger the zoom at those parts of the map you wanted it.

@msmalik681 drawmethod won't scale the hit and attack boxes thou. :(

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 46532
  • Total Topics: 3188
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 50