Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 04:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dreams of rage

• 16 Replies

Offline thefallenalchemist

Re: Dreams of rage
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 03:03:02 AM »
Alright, here comes an honest opinion. I'm a horror movie buff and grew up around these films. Freddy used to frighten the living hell out of me as a child.

Aesthetically, you've achieved that sense of fear from the movies. I would have loved to see the Splatterhouse stuff modded though, it seems that every time someone makes a horror mod, they resort to Splatterhouse sprites. Great job on the girls, the puppets, Freddy's forms and several other pieces I enjoyed.

There are a few typos in the script, please check through it one more time.

The music fit, especially the Freddy battle music.

Now here's where the game becomes a literal nightmare. As far as I can tell, I have one attack, one special and a combo that drains the special bar too for some reason. So I'm often left pushing one button, as there is no satisfaction from combos. The enemies however can combo and gang up on me.

Aside from being hammered by far too many enemies onscreen at one time (especially on the TV levels) I find that I'm battling enemies that are built like tanks. They may as well be bosses. This really, really turned the game into a bore, because I'm mostly looking at the art to take me away from the gameplay itself, which involves mashing a button for about ten minutes per enemy on the later levels.

Those aliens are a menace. They just swarmed over me and more or less devoured me. It would have been more fun to give them very low health, yet have them swarm. This give the player a feeling of badassness, that he/she just defeated a horde of aliens. The same could be said with the zombies. What kind of protein powder are these guys on? The deadites too. Even though aside from Ash, we are fighting Splatterhouse enemies again. Ash was a good fit, by the way.

I also noticed that aside from coloring effects, you kept the movesets and sounds from the ghost and blood enemies identical to their respective Japanese brawlers. Even the names are not quite what I'd expect for Nightmare On Elm Street. You even kept the big guys that charge intact.

In all honesty, I could not finish because the puppets and every other enemy afterwards was built like a tank. The game gave me a hard mode that I did not ask for, bringing me a level of tedium that would only have been fair if my characters could level up and learn new moves. I felt like I'd been wasting my time through most of the levels as I soon switched to turbo and just held the button down as I hammered tanks while looking at the scenery. That screams imbalance.

So even though I didn't get to see the final Freddy (I was in the fifth stage) I was definitely impressed with the level of art and graphic work, even if the movie images were a bit blurry. It is a promising first attempt, but I wouldn't even dream of finishing it unless you balance out the enemy lifebars, so that the numerous amounts don't feel like I'm punching tanks and go down just a bit more like their console counterparts. It should be 2-5 punches per regular enemy, sometimes eight. Having to hammer down boss lifebars on enemies with no upgrades is a real nightmare. I'll give it a 7/10.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:05:37 AM by thefallenalchemist »

Offline handsnfeetface

Re: Dreams of rage
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:37:46 PM »
I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to play and comment on my game.    The advice and criticism are all valid points.   Sometimes it's hard to take a step back and look at it from other angles when you're immersed in if for so long.  Mechanics, I find, aren't really my strong point (hoping to work on that).   Looks like I've got some reworking to do.  I guess I was so worried it'd be too easy I went overboard.    Thanks again, everyone.

P.S.  Funny enough the pixelated, low quality, pictures were, actually, an aesthetic decision.  The originals were of much better clarity.  I wanted them to look like movie screenshots played on a Sega Genesis.  I may end up redoing the cutscenes with the original pics. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:26:00 PM by handsnfeetface »

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6610
  • Latest: larson
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47046
  • Total Topics: 3226
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online