Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 09:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Streets of Rage 2X By Kratus

• 33 Replies

Offline KratusGH

Re: Streets of Rage 2X By Kratus
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 02:38:30 AM »
DC, I have a question. When I turn off the xbox360 wireless controller and then turn it on, I need to close and re-open the engine to work. Do you have any method or script to re-detect without closing the engine, as emulators do?

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 05:06:17 AM »
DC, I have a question. When I turn off the xbox360 wireless controller and then turn it on, I need to close and re-open the engine to work. Do you have any method or script to re-detect without closing the engine, as emulators do?

I have the same issue with the same controller.

Online Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 06:11:18 AM »

Not off hand I don't. I've never had much luck with 360 controllers at all on anything, and never spent much time bothering with them. Sorry.
Projects in progress are now available here: https://github.com/DCurrent

Offline nedflandeurse

• Peace
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
Your explaination makes sense!
I hope you will continue projects!

I think you could make a great original game based on Sor sprites, with custom characters a,d your tweaked gameplay!
Some king of Sor clone + new characters + slightly different system like that.
my game system. W.A. Project.

Offline masterderico

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
Don't blame me for that, but imo this mod is better than sorremake in every aspect.

Best sor mod ever, kudos to the developer, guy is a genius.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:24:53 PM by masterderico »

Offline DintheAbary

• Bringing the hype back one pixel at a time.
    • Brawlers Avenue
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
I saw a video for this a while ago and was wondering when I'd be able to get hands on it! Can't say I mirror the sentiments of SoR being overdone, maybe it's because I only enjoy a small handful of SoR projects. That being said this definitely has the potential to be on of those enjoyably projects for the fluidity of controlling the characters alone.

The Pros
- combos are pretty smooth and do feel like it has impact to them
- presentation is great, wider screen to accommodate 4 players is a plus
- moves seem pretty solid, rage attacks always seemed to be something the game could add without going over board (especially if you consider SoR2 on the game gear had them)
- the audio is amazing, could use a little mixing but attacks sound like they hurt and other sounds are nice on the ears
- being able to see more of the stages vertically is another plus, feels cinematic

The Cons
- cowardly AI on standard goons, in some cases enemies stay off screen and refuse to advance, this is even worse when combined with the amount of space there is to walk in
- speaking of space, maybe the resolution is a bit too big, too much empty space at times, this could be fixed by maybe adding more objects, hazards etc to populate these areas
- bosses are tedious as hell to fight, they aren't so much as hard as they are just annoying and uninteresting. Rage moves  these bosses have are just a chore to deal with especially considering when you get hit with them they drain your special meter... wtf? In various cases they move way too damn fast, I gave up at zamza to be frank it kills the experience having to resort to cheap tactics to beat these bosses when you have a large array of moves in your arsenal
- HUD is pretty cluttered, what does the blue meter do? combo counter just gets in the way, enemy life bars could probably be shorten and moved next to the portrait to add a little more breathing room, not really a major problem but could help improve the presentations over all
- Blocking and Rolling doesn't feel natural at all, having a button for rolling specifically just feels unnecessary especially in a 2d brawler, the original method worked better. My suggestion as far as forward and backward rolling would be to have block animation cancelled into the two by pressing fwd or back twice respectively.
- Not being able to perform a special when meter is empty is also a bit grating at times, same with not being able to use forward special during a grab or while being hit. The latter is hit and miss though I always preferred the SoR2 method over 3 here.
- Juggles... I'll be honest I'm not seeing the allure in having this feature in mods. It's rarely implemented properly on it's own and most mods don't balance it out with things like having an aerial special, juggle limits, AI not being able to juggle with a simple jab etc. I don't feel like it fits in a grounded game like SoR at least not in this state.
- lack of staple features like vaulting and a robust grapple system, these things are very important in an SoR game, skate and Max specifically miss out on one of their special traits by not having these implemented.
- Explosions are really annoying in this game, just as it was SoR Remake. At the very least there should be a difference in radius depending on what the cause of the explosion is.
- visuals while nice clash pretty hard,
- I understand this is an SoR2 remake of sorts though it's a little disappointing not having at least adam unlockable in the game.

Overall most of the cons can be nitpicks against the design choices but outside of that this project has a ton of potential and I'm glad to see another quality SoR mod in progress.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:14:06 PM by DintheAbary »

Online Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
I should clarify - I'm not against revisiting franchises. At all. It's just that SOR is a very special case, simply because of SOR Remake. I think Remake is a bit overrated, but never the less it is an excellent game in nearly every respect. For good reason, it is universally accepted as the ultimate classic SOR experience.

That's a big shadow to work under, fair or not. Your only options are...

• A) Take SOR Remake head on, and beat it in every aspect across the board. Can that be done? Sure, and then some. But recall it took a dedicated team seven years to build SOR Remake. Styx might have that much time on their hands, but I doubt anyone here does.
  • B) Go your own way make something totally new. That's just as tough. Step too far off the rails, and it simply won't be accepted as a SOR game. Ex: The laughably awful SORXXX and its ilk.

Thank you DC for the deep analysis. I know the game still has some problems but I'm new to openbor and I'm still studying a lot about this fantastic engine. And this is not the final version of the game, I will make improvements and corrections in the next versions. I just do not understand what's wrong with random mechanics... What do you suggest improve?

I have a meeting in like, two minutes, but I'll get you some details soon as I can.

DC
Projects in progress are now available here: https://github.com/DCurrent

Offline DintheAbary

• Brawlers Avenue
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
I should clarify - I'm not against revisiting franchises. At all. It's just that SOR is a very special case, simply because of SOR Remake. I think Remake is a bit overrated, but never the less it is an excellent game in nearly every respect. For good reason, it is universally accepted as the ultimate classic SOR experience.

That's a big shadow to work under, fair or not. Your only options are...

• A) Take SOR Remake head on, and beat it in every aspect across the board. Can that be done? Sure, and then some. But recall it took a dedicated team seven years to build SOR Remake. Styx might have that much time on their hands, but I doubt anyone here does.
  • B) Go your own way make something totally new. That's just as tough. Step too far off the rails, and it simply won't be accepted as a SOR game. Ex: The laughably awful SORXXX and its ilk.

This I certainly agree with, Remake has definitely raised expectations as far as revisiting the franchise goes. I guess I just meant as far as quality SoR projects go it's a bit of a needle in a haystack situation, I honestly look at a project and almost immediately know where my interest lies so I don't feel as overwhelmed as I am with the number of Final Fight and double dragon mods I see out there, quite a few of which while very well made kind of retread the same ground a lot of the time.

Offline Psykai

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
Din pretty much nailed it on the Pros and Cons. Fully agree!

Are you still working on your SoR game Din? I'm super excited for that ^_^
"Muffin?"

Offline masterderico

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »
Tried to run this game on wii (v.4453), no luck...  :(

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
Even the original SOR isn't exactly a masterpiece, it felt clunky like one of the bad arcade ports on sega, it had low frame animations and even bad offsets.  If someone released it today as a MOD y'all would be picking it apart.

Offline DintheAbary

• Brawlers Avenue
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
Din pretty much nailed it on the Pros and Cons. Fully agree!

Are you still working on your SoR game Din? I'm super excited for that ^_^
Indeed I am, slowly but surely. :)

Even the original SOR isn't exactly a masterpiece, it felt clunky like one of the bad arcade ports on sega, it had low frame animations and even bad offsets.  If someone released it today as a MOD y'all would be picking it apart.
I mean, if you're talking about SoR1 I'd be inclined to agree but you still don't have a valid point considering it isn't an arcade port, it was the first game, it was released on the Genesis not PC and later consoles which meant limitations etc etc. Of course if you mean it's successors I'll just have to agree to disagree lol. I'll even give points to SoR3 for still being a pretty solid brawler even though I'm not too fond of the US version.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:30:05 PM by DintheAbary »

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »
I mean, if you're talking about SoR1 I'd be inclined to agree but you still don't have a valid point considering it isn't an arcade port, it was the first game,
I can't agree more. SoR1 was an... ok game back in that day, but not that great. SoR2, on the other way, was a MASTERPIECE.

Tried to run this game on wii (v.4453), no luck...  :(
Probably won't work at all in Wii. It doesn't have enough RAM to run it.

Offline John_Kuey

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:41 AM »
I apologize for my rude behavior. & Misjudged this mod in a very negative matter.

With that being said, this mod is leagues above the likes of Rage of the streets, sorxxx, bare knuckle the next generation, final rage chaos, anything by the person who made that disgusting zombies/corruptedcops/streets of russia travesty of a mod.

however, I still don't like all enemies being playable(looking at you syndicate wars). I suppose Barbon, Zamza, Abadede, & R.Bear get a pass. But I'm not a fan of playable grunts like Galsia, Donovan, & the other mooks. Jet is overpowered to hell & back. Mr. X looks dumb just staring at the screen as his idle stance(Wish bombergames just allow the BOR community to use his custom idle)

I'm glad you intend on making improvments to this mod though so I respect you for that. Please don't let my previous comments discourage you from continuing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:23:09 AM by John_Kuey »

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Yeah I meant SOR1 and I know it's not an arcade port, but quality wise it feels like one of those sega arcade ports.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6914
  • Latest: xjlvcx
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48030
  • Total Topics: 3296
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2