Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 09:12:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

saint seiya

• 14 Replies

Offline gt26

• Fight for your dreams !
saint seiya
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
Hello, I'm interested for a few days openBor for windows, I downloaded some software, I have more questions because the forum is great to find me. ^^

I would like to adapt my game Saint Seiya Ultimate Cosmo soon!

after creating data / tanks / bgs / level ETC file ....

1 / how to convert data to pak file? with which software / tool?
(I thank you if you had link / tutorial example)

2 / My characters are Hr under mugen, can I change the scale?

3 / What tool would you advise me to open / configure the internships?

4 / Is it possible to download a game and modify its data content and restart with the changes?Hello, I'm interested for a few days openBor for windows, I downloaded some software, I have more questions because the forum is great to find me. ^^

I would like to adapt my game Saint Seiya Ultimate Cosmo soon!

after creating data / tanks / bgs / level ETC file ....

(I thank you if you had link / tutorial example)

4 / Is it possible to download a game and modify its data content and restart with the changes?

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
Re: saint seiya
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »
Ah, you are one of the guys from that Mugen game? Congrats, it looks amazing. It could be opmitized a tad, but I like it.
So, welcome to the forum!

As a Mugen coder myself, I think I can reply some of your questions understanding from where (Mugen) you come from.

1- My first advice is: READ THE MANUAL. There are a lot of information there and many of your questions have answers there.
http://dcemulation.org/?title=OpenBORManual or http://www.chronocrash.com/apps/wiki/obor/index.php?title=Main_Page

2- Keep in mind that Mugen and OpenBOR are very different animals (you will soon understand why), and a lot of things are very different in both engines. Dunno what you plans are, but if you want to make a Vs Fighting game, I suggest you to stay in Mugen. OpenBOR is a very expansible engine (way more than mugen) but, from the ground up, Mugen outshines OpenBOR in this aspect, because a lot of things we have in Mugen will be needed to build from the scratch - for example, there is no fricction system in OpenBOR.

But if you want to make a Beat em up game, OpenBOR is your best friend. It can be done in Mugen, sure, but its like to eat soup with a fork :)

About the scale, both engine treats it very differntly. While Mugen uses a Gausian Interpolation to reduce/scale sprites, OpenBOR uses Nearest Neighbor to do the same thing. To be honest, OpenBOR doesn't support TRUE HD - what ie does is making the resolution bigger, with no change in the pixel ratio (or local.coord in Mugen).

So yes, you can change the scale but it won't look as sharp as it does in Mugen, sadly.

I suggest you to use OpenBORStats or Modders Tool. But have prons and cons (OpenBORStats is old and doesn't support some newer things, while Modders Tool is newer and support, but its kinda instable). Both can be downloaded here on the forum.

4 / Is it possible to download a game and modify its data content and restart with the changes?
Yes, OpenBOR is intended to be Open Source, so we learn from other people. We are a small team here, so this act kinda like a family. It's not a rule, but is common sense and a matter of respect to talk with the original author. If you wanna open other people's work to see how they are made, get some ideas/codes/sprites from it its fine. I (and its my personal opinion) just think its not "fair" to take someone's work and start saying "HI THIS IS MY GAME" ;)

I've started to build a Mugen to OpenBOR guide and never finished it, but maybe you can find some useful info there http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=817.0

Offline gt26

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
Thank you for your quick response, our project mugen continues to develop, Openbor is a great opportunity for beat'em all, I really want to create a game seiya saint for fans, work on both projects.

I consult several pages, I think I understood many things, thanks to your forum and I will continue to read in my researches. The creation will be fast characters, stage, element etc.

I understand that the gif must be placed in a folder for the characters and stage.it's okay !

I look at the manual

My current problem is targeting software, saving data, simple thing for you ^^

2.3 Creating a PAK File:
Use borpak tool Usage: borpak -d [DATA] -b [FOLDER / * .PAK].

Problem: when I run the software, the window opens and when I press a key "d" or other, the software closes without creating anything ... I'm not sure I understood,

excuse me for my english (translator)

Openborstats it's ok for chars but do not allow me to visualize my stages / pictures...

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »
You are welcome. Nedflandeurse  is a great person and also an OpenBOR coder and speaks French too, so maybe he can help you too http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=58

I understand that the gif must be placed in a folder for the characters and stage.it's okay !
For stages, you can use PNG (even for characters too). There are some places where RGB PNG are allowed too.

Openborstats it's ok for chars but do not allow me to visualize my stages / pictures...
yes, it does. Under LEVELS.

My current problem is targeting software, saving data, simple thing for you ^^
You don't need to creat a .pak each time you want to test your game. OpenBOR will look for the content under DATA folder.
Just create an file in Notepad, give it a name (like SAINTSEYA) and save it as .pak under PAKS folder.
You will be using the .PAK file just when you need to share the game with others.

Good luck with your project. We are a small team, but we like to help good people as much as we can :)

Offline gt26

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:17:02 PM »
thank you O ilusionista !

Offline gt26

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 01:39:38 AM »
hummm, when I insert my image gif / or png with openborstats, it appears in black, I made a mistake?

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:01:35 AM »
Wrong path. Mugen won't care if you address to a non-existent image, but OpenBor does. It will close and report on the log.
Btw, we have a Mugen section here. Why don't you post about yout great Mugen game there?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:44:25 AM by O Ilusionista »

Offline nedflandeurse

• Peace
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »
Hi guys, I tried to give some help to Him.
But I'm not that good with openbor configuration.
Basically he just want to be able to launch openbor, so he can start working on his game and test it.

I recommanded him to use last openbor build and add initial BOR game on it as a base for his mod.

I don't know if it's the right way, but I never made something from scratch myself with OB, so I cannot explain another way.
my game system. W.A. Project.

Offline gt26

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
merci de ta réponse je t'ai renvoyé des messages mp.

J'espére pouvoir m'adapter rapidement.^^

Offline gt26

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »
hello I use openstats to open the file char, when I add a sprite gif and create his bbox,offset etc is ok
 but when I save and run the game, the game crash ...
help? please

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
Please,be more specific.
OpenBor has a log,, under the logs folder. On that file, near at the bottom, you will find the "crash" reason.

Offline gt26

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 05:50:30 PM »
 :)  okay

Game Selected: ./Paks/bor.pak

FileCaching System Init......   Disabled
Initializing video............
Reading video settings from 'data/video.txt'.

Colordepth is depreciated. All modules are displayed with a 32bit color screen. 

Initialized video.............   960x540 (Mode: 6, Depth: 8 Bit)

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
Only this?

Offline gt26

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »

For stages it's ok, I start exploring the system.

For chars, it's always the same problem.
I use photofiltre ou gimps, I take my sprite format bmp then indexes in 256 colors and saves under .gif with palette optimization, my background is good rvb green first.

there is no video to show?or picture please.

this is the only problem, for the rest I hope not to bore you more.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
 You posted before that you got crash but if you got this shot, I assume your crash is solved

Anyways, about the sprite:

I take my sprite format bmp then indexes in 256 colors and saves under .gif with palette optimization, my background is good rvb green first.

Hmmm... have you tried looking at sprite's palette? how many green colors there?

BTW you should apply single palette to all sprites instead of applying palette optimization on each sprite
 Oh yes, you can use PNG, paletted that is

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6914
  • Latest: xjlvcx
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48031
  • Total Topics: 3296
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online