Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 24, 2017, 04:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

OpenBOR v3.0 Build 4432 (Windows/Wii/Android/PSP)

• 94 Replies

Offline White Dragon

• OpenBOR Developer
  • TMNT: Shell Shocked Project
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shell Shocked [The Arcade Game]
Re: OpenBOR v3.0 Build 4426 (Windows/Wii/Android/PSP)
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »
- added followcond 5: this animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy and the target does not get killed or block the attack.

OK, that's enough. This is the very definition of code bloat - please do not add any more follow conditions to the engine. Followups are meant for the most basic reactionary conditions only. More complex conditionals are exactly why we have script. Helping authors with a didhitscript is more beneficial in the long run than just adding yet more stuff to the source code.

DC

Ok DC.
I think I gave a good support at the Engine.
I do not feel I have done something wrong or useless.
I respected the style in which the engine has been written, improving it and giving the code a little bit of strength that I think it had not (in addition to new features).
This engine now works properly and does not have many bugs and incomplete features as before ...
I hope you both noticed ..

I don't get what that condition 5 does. Isn't duplicated?

No...

Code: [Select]
followcond {value}
~This command is to make the entity performs FOLLOW{#} if an attackbox in the animation hits.
~value determines the condition requirements before FOLLOW{#} is played.  1 = this animation will followup as long as it hits an entity.
 2 = this animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy (Or player if an enemy uses it).
 3 = this animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy and the target does not get killed or not block the attack.
 4 = this animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy, and the target is not killed, does not block the attack, and is not set to be ungrabbable.
 5 = this animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy and the target does not get killed or block the attack.

~Which FOLLOW animation played is determined by 'followanim'.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shell Shocked [The Arcade Game]

Offline Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2016, 11:06:23 AM »

Don't mistake doing my job as lead dev with a personal attack against you. Your work is fantastic, no one would deny that. I've said so over and over - you are a far better coder than I am. But there's more to development than being a good coder - you must pay attention to engineering too.

Unlike your basemaps (awesome btw), these sorts of additions are unnecessary and only serve to make future compatibility and maintenance more difficult.  In the example above, you could keep adding to that list forever and never cover all the scenarios an author might want. It's precisely why we have a didhitscript and similar events.

DC
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:16:51 AM by Damon Caskey »

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
  • >> I WILL BE AWAY FOR SOME TIME <<
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
Yeah, don't take it personally. We all loved what you you added to the engine and all other help, really. DC is just giving you a remind that maybe some additions need to be thinked about first.

That's intended behavior. Model switch is ONLY a model switch.
Yes, I got it. But once she enter in the alterate model (idle animation), she will slide (iow not enter in walk animation) until you release the directionl. I tried to use velo001 0 0 0 to stop her, but no good. Take a look:

Changing the subject, is remaps still limited to 30? I know many limits listed on the manual aren't in action anymore, but dunno about this one.

Offline Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
Yes, I got it. But once she enter in the alterate model (idle animation), she will slide (iow not enter in walk animation) until you release the directionl. I tried to use velo001 0 0 0 to stop her, but no good.

Humm, I'll have to bust open the module and have a look, but I can't right now - working on a database issue for work. Sorry, will soon as I can. :(

Changing the subject, is remaps still limited to 30? I know many limits listed on the manual aren't in action anymore, but dunno about this one.

Nope, memory for maps is allocated as it goes. Make maps to your heart's content. Incidentally, there was a nifty trick to get infinite maps. It involved using dummy entities to hold more maps (30 each natch) and then applying the palettes by pointer, but obviously that's not necessary. Still a nice demo of how powerful pointers can be.

DC
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:58:47 AM by Damon Caskey »

Offline nsw25

• Thatcher Productions
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
Just a heads up im noticing with latest version there seems to be a bug where 'facing' doesn't seem to be working

for example

name trophy1
type panel
speed 10
setlayer 5000
facing 1
subject_to_screen 1
lifespan 3
#alpha 6
palette none

anim idle
delay 200
offset 480 400
sound data/sounds/money.wav
frame data/sprites/trophy/trophy1.png
delay 200

when the trophy is spawned sometimes it is flipped, sometimes it flips back to normal other times not.

Offline jiam

• google translation
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2016, 01:54:56 AM »
Suggestion to create stairs, Create an option to create stairs similar to creating holes in the map, but stairs.

Then:
animation Stairs up
animation stairs down
animation stairs right
animation stairs left

Would it be expensive to add to the engine?  :P

Offline White Dragon

• OpenBOR Developer
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »

Don't mistake doing my job as lead dev with a personal attack against you. Your work is fantastic, no one would deny that. I've said so over and over - you are a far better coder than I am. But there's more to development than being a good coder - you must pay attention to engineering too.

Unlike your basemaps (awesome btw), these sorts of additions are unnecessary and only serve to make future compatibility and maintenance more difficult.  In the example above, you could keep adding to that list forever and never cover all the scenarios an author might want. It's precisely why we have a didhitscript and similar events.

DC

Yeah, don't take it personally. We all loved what you you added to the engine and all other help, really. DC is just giving you a remind that maybe some additions need to be thinked about first.

Thanks, sorry ...
It is that I put passion in what I do  :)

Suggestion to create stairs, Create an option to create stairs similar to creating holes in the map, but stairs.

Then:
animation Stairs up
animation stairs down
animation stairs right
animation stairs left

Would it be expensive to add to the engine?  :P

For now just use my ladder script, If I put code for that, I need to change many code base...

Yes, I got it. But once she enter in the alterate model (idle animation), she will slide (iow not enter in walk animation) until you release the directionl. I tried to use velo001 0 0 0 to stop her, but no good. Take a look: ...

Try to use (in entity.txt):
modelflag 1 # 0 = Animation and weaponlist are copied, 1 = Animation aren't copied but weaponlist are still copied, 3 = Animation and weaponlost aren't copied

Offline White Dragon

• OpenBOR Developer
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
Just a heads up im noticing with latest version there seems to be a bug where 'facing' doesn't seem to be working

for example

name trophy1
type panel
speed 10
setlayer 5000
facing 1
subject_to_screen 1
lifespan 3
#alpha 6
palette none

anim idle
delay 200
offset 480 400
sound data/sounds/money.wav
delay 200

when the trophy is spawned sometimes it is flipped, sometimes it flips back to normal other times not.

It's strange.. BTW I have not sufficent info..
Please tell me latest working build (the engine code seems to be ok and I have no problems).
Do some test to understand what is the issue... and feedback!!

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
I managed to fix the Win 10 palette issue. It was very weird - the last color on the palette (not the last slot) was turning white. I've reorganized the colors and its fixed, but its kinda weird.

Also, can someone compile the Linux version?
Thanks.

Offline Damon Caskey

• Administrator
    • DC Current
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
I can't do any dev work at the moment since my laptop died. I have backups, but they are squirreled away on a server in my hometown and it takes time to transfer them all.

DC

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
Hello there from Rio de Janeiro! My name is Diego and I really appreciate your work, you've definitely made my life as a retrogamer much happier. I come here today to ask your insight about this issue: on build 4426 for PSP I seem not to be able to change screen sizes, which is a real nuisance on a small screen. Do you know if there's a way to solve that? Thank you for your time

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2017, 02:11:58 PM »
Guys, its possible to remove the limit of the allowselect?
Right now, it allows something close to 50 characters (I don't remember the right number) but some mods can have way more than that.

Its that possible?

Offline White Dragon

• OpenBOR Developer
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:27 PM »
Guys, its possible to remove the limit of the allowselect?
Right now, it allows something close to 50 characters (I don't remember the right number) but some mods can have way more than that.

Its that possible?

allowselect has a 511 characters limit.
No 511 names but 511 characters for now.
If you want I can double it

Offline O Ilusionista

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 05:16:06 AM »
Is that a way to remove this limit? If not,  think you Could put something big like 2048 or more.

Offline White Dragon

• OpenBOR Developer
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
the limit must exist because it affects the size of the save file. so we have to proceed with caution.
maybe I could do at the beginning 1024

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42962
  • Total Topics: 2934
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 316
  • (January 04, 2013, 09:43:02 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3