• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.
Dreams of Rage

Complete Dreams of rage 1.3.1

No permission to download
Project is completed.

handsnfeetface

About a year and a half ago, I started a topic on a Freddy fan page regarding the start of a game project. A short time later work on Dreams of Rage began.

n5AjqAo.png

I'm happy to announce I, finally, have a complete version of the game available for download. I'd like to thank everyone that has had a hand in helping me reach this point; I wouldn't be here if not for you guys.

The goal was to create a Nightmare on Elm Street game that felt like it came from the arcade/sega era like Streets of Rage and Final fight. There are still some ideas in the works, such as an additional character and extra game modes (which will take some more practice in utilizing this engine), but I'm happy with this first version.

61NWbPY.gif

I hope everyone has fun playing. I'm definitely looking forward to gameplay feedback seeing as though I lean more toward the art side of things rather than mechanics. This is my very first Mod, so go easy ;)

Best regards,

MZ

Last edited by a moderator:
handsnfeetface said:

Congratulations on your release. Please get us a screenshot .gif and we'll post this to the news feed.

DC

Posted, thanks.
Zvitor made a video about your game:

I have some feedback to share, but I will do it once I have time.

Very good and rare idea of a game. It made me almost wanted to see Freddy movies again. I think you could use more characters, like Will Stanton, for example, that you initially considered a playable character(I'm sure I've seen him in early screenshots of this project). or maybe the "Screaming Banshee-style guy" from "Dream Warriors".

So cool was the stage you see Phillip being carried way by his tendons!

I liked your mod but it have room for improvements. like the possibility of escaping the wall of claws of Freddy is very very little because the player character is too slow for dodge it among others things.

But most importantly, give me the name of the metal song played in the title screen.
I want to have it and play it and hear it now!!

Thanks for this movie based mod. ;D

great game! i would add this song if i made that game...its from freddy 6 intro

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!!  ;D

D@rin said:
But most importantly, give me the name of the metal song played in the title screen.

Thank you for the kind words and constructive criticism. The song I used for the intro is a remake of the Elm street NES theme song created by Scott Roger of Console Crash.

This game needs nancy and the wizard master in it :p  Alice should be unlockable and be an op character that has all their powers :p

handsnfeetface said:
D@rin said:

Thank you for the kind words and constructive criticism.  The song I used for the intro is a remake of the Elm street NES theme song created by Scott Roger of Console Crash.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8CkpEs8Lc

...And thank you for the metal tune! And thanks the author of the song too.

Amazing.

Here is my playthrough of the game for Halloween bro

The game is pretty good and is nice to see something different but it has some issues, which most already addressed:

The image quality for the cutscenes is really low quality, I can understand because of the copyright issues so it really doesn't matter much

The characters all move to slow, I had trouble dealing with groups because of this and wished there was a run button

So enemies are way too strong, the tall ghost guys that grab you then kick you away are way too difficult I had more trouble with them then Freddy

There is sprite clashing as you use sprites from Splatterhouse with the monsters

The last form of Freddy isn't that hard, he was really easy lol, I expected more of a fight!!

And that's pretty much all I could think of at this moment, it's a good game that has issues and I'm glad you did something different!!!

Thanks for the game and happy Halloween guys, sorry for bumping the topic lol!!

Alright, here comes an honest opinion. I'm a horror movie buff and grew up around these films. Freddy used to frighten the living hell out of me as a child.

Aesthetically, you've achieved that sense of fear from the movies. I would have loved to see the Splatterhouse stuff modded though, it seems that every time someone makes a horror mod, they resort to Splatterhouse sprites. Great job on the girls, the puppets, Freddy's forms and several other pieces I enjoyed.

There are a few typos in the script, please check through it one more time.

The music fit, especially the Freddy battle music.

Now here's where the game becomes a literal nightmare. As far as I can tell, I have one attack, one special and a combo that drains the special bar too for some reason. So I'm often left pushing one button, as there is no satisfaction from combos. The enemies however can combo and gang up on me.

Aside from being hammered by far too many enemies onscreen at one time (especially on the TV levels) I find that I'm battling enemies that are built like tanks. They may as well be bosses. This really, really turned the game into a bore, because I'm mostly looking at the art to take me away from the gameplay itself, which involves mashing a button for about ten minutes per enemy on the later levels.

Those aliens are a menace. They just swarmed over me and more or less devoured me. It would have been more fun to give them very low health, yet have them swarm. This give the player a feeling of badassness, that he/she just defeated a horde of aliens. The same could be said with the zombies. What kind of protein powder are these guys on? The deadites too. Even though aside from Ash, we are fighting Splatterhouse enemies again. Ash was a good fit, by the way.

I also noticed that aside from coloring effects, you kept the movesets and sounds from the ghost and blood enemies identical to their respective Japanese brawlers. Even the names are not quite what I'd expect for Nightmare On Elm Street. You even kept the big guys that charge intact.

In all honesty, I could not finish because the puppets and every other enemy afterwards was built like a tank. The game gave me a hard mode that I did not ask for, bringing me a level of tedium that would only have been fair if my characters could level up and learn new moves. I felt like I'd been wasting my time through most of the levels as I soon switched to turbo and just held the button down as I hammered tanks while looking at the scenery. That screams imbalance.

So even though I didn't get to see the final Freddy (I was in the fifth stage) I was definitely impressed with the level of art and graphic work, even if the movie images were a bit blurry. It is a promising first attempt, but I wouldn't even dream of finishing it unless you balance out the enemy lifebars, so that the numerous amounts don't feel like I'm punching tanks and go down just a bit more like their console counterparts. It should be 2-5 punches per regular enemy, sometimes eight. Having to hammer down boss lifebars on enemies with no upgrades is a real nightmare. I'll give it a 7/10.

I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to play and comment on my game.    The advice and criticism are all valid points.  Sometimes it's hard to take a step back and look at it from other angles when you're immersed in if for so long.  Mechanics, I find, aren't really my strong point (hoping to work on that).  Looks like I've got some reworking to do.  I guess I was so worried it'd be too easy I went overboard.    Thanks again, everyone.

P.S.  Funny enough the pixelated, low quality, pictures were, actually, an aesthetic decision.  The originals were of much better clarity.  I wanted them to look like movie screenshots played on a Sega Genesis.  I may end up redoing the cutscenes with the original pics. 

HMXdWyg.png

FZyOim4.png

Hey everyone,  I've got an update on the way.  First off, there has been numerous edits to bboxes and attack boxes as well as a damage overhaul.

To emphasize the souls under Freddy's control I've added graphical cues and death animations to some of the enemies to get that point across.  Thanks Nsw25 for the recommendation. 

pain1.png

death5.png

Some minor graphical flare here and there.  For example, when the player loses a life their soul leaves their body.

krsoul.jpg

ksoul.jpg

The final Freddy has been toned up a bit to put up more of a fight as well as an additional attack.  Based on enemy count Krueger enters a hole in the ground and chases the players for 10 seconds.  If caught the player is pulled underground instantly losing a life.

fkill.jpg

Also,  we now have running, run attacks, and dodging.  This was, honestly, something I figured I could forgo based on its absence in FF and SOR 2 as well as not wanting to drawing a bunch of new frames for each character, but a complaint I received from many sources.  Again, thanks to Nsw25 for taking the time to show that they could be achieved, believably, by repurposing  certain frames with minimal edits.

kra2.jpg

ra2.jpg

tra2.jpg

I hope you all will enjoy the changes so far. 

Back
Top Bottom