La-Quien Tales

I didn't have access to my code today, but did have Photoshop handy, so went ahead and prototyped the first frame of Valis's unarmed idle stance. No sword? No problem!

valis_idle_unarmed_0.pngvalis_idle_unarmed_tunic_0.pngvalis_idle_unarmed_coat_0.png

valis_idle_unarmed_lrg_0.pngvalis_idle_unarmed_tunic_lrg_0.pngvalis_idle_unarmed_coat_lrg_0.png

As is painfully obvious in the video and the end result, I am a coder, not an artist. You won't see my stuff standing up to the likes of @O Ilusionista, @NED, or @bWWd, but I'd like to think I'm building a bit on each iteration.

DC

You are an artist Damon just not the best artist, stop comparing yourself to others, you do really good work and good is enough, in some ways you are much better. keep doing it.

As is painfully obvious in the video and the end result, I am a coder, not an artist. You won't see my stuff standing up to the likes of @O Ilusionista, @NED, or @bWWd, but I'd like to think I'm building a bit on each iteration.
the perfect is the enemy of the good

i can draw , but sprite stuff is truly a pain in the #%s and this original work is better than other "professional" stuff i have seen
on commercial titles

@danno, @O Ilusionista, @oldyz,

Thank you for the props guys. I really, really appreciate it. I'm still trying to get the look just right and refine my "CVS" shading before I move onto to other animations and get too locked in to make changes. Valis should appear as a light skinned Caucasian with pointed ears, and a powerful looking athletic build.

I feel like my earliest efforts were too stringy. I'm not interested in replicating Ash Crimson. The most recent attempts had bulk, but no definition. If I can only find that sweet spot...

valis_idle_unarmed_0_demo_0.png

valis_idle_unarmed_0_demo_lrg_0.png

Last edited:
@danno, @O Ilusionista, @oldyz,

Thank you for the props guys. I really, really appreciate it. I'm still trying to get the look just right and refine my "CVS" shading before I move onto to other animations and get too locked in to make changes. Valis should appear as a light skinned Caucasian with pointed ears, and a powerful looking athletic build.

I feel like my earliest efforts were too stringy. I'm not interested in replicating Ash Crimson. The most recent attempts had bulk, but no definition. If I can only find that sweet spot...

View attachment 5817

View attachment 5818

Don't have time to apply an in game palette, but here's an animated sample with the new arm shading next to the old one:

valis-sprite-idle-ip-17_lrg.gifvalis_idle_ex_tunic_lg_0.gif

I guess this makes it official. I pulled out the template, made some adjustments, and got a functional prototype going with Valis, just to see what it would look like. As mentioned, all he can do is stand, and I don't have his clothing choices coded yet. Everything else is default stuff from the template. Still, I have to admit it gives me a little chill to see my very own creation come to life on screen for the first time. No turning back now...

I guess this makes it official. I pulled out the template, made some adjustments, and got a functional prototype going with Valis, just to see what it would look like. As mentioned, all he can do is stand, and I don't have his clothing choices coded yet. Everything else is default stuff from the template. Still, I have to admit it gives me a little chill to see my very own creation come to life on screen for the first time. No turning back now...

Nice!
Looks good ingame.

Yes, and I can see the sprite have been poilshed for the last ingame version.
The body definition looks better, arm etc.

@DCurrent make a stage next, I'm curious to see the environment some of these battles are gonna go down.

And also it'll be really good for you to practice your landscape drawing skills.

Holy crap guys, I did not expect that kind of response. Figured I was boring y'all to death with my posts here TBH. :)

Thank you so much!

@DCurrent make a stage next, I'm curious to see the environment some of these battles are gonna go down.

And also it'll be really good for you to practice your landscape drawing skills.

@danno, I'll probably start with "Daniel's Glen", the lakeside woods scene described in this story chapter and that I'd crudely illustrated here:

1701180816653.png

I forgot to draw it in the illustration (lol), but lake is in the foreground (like third stage in Streets of Rage 1), so I'll have to make sure that appears in the stage. Nothing too special scenery wise, but I'll spice things up a little by making it rain just like the story and using my weather scripts (random effects, rain splatters, etc.).

DC

Amazing to see the character in action :)

Reactions: NED
Seeing your own creation come to life is very breath taking. Amazing work there, sir!

*Edit:* Response to derail spam removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some minor progress on Valis's unarmed idle. No hair and cape motion or outer clothing yet, and he's missing the strap that holds his sheath. I can see already it needs a big adjustment. He should be standing taller compared to his longsword stance due to the more narrow leg position, but right now there's only one pixel difference.

valis_idle_unarmed_2_lrg.gif

DC

Your attention to detail is great. I know the weight that comes with creating this way but it's also really beautiful to see when done right and you do it right, not convoluted and messy.

Your attention to detail is great. I know the weight that comes with creating this way but it's also really beautiful to see when done right and you do it right, not convoluted and messy.

Thank you @danno! It is indeed a pain in the backside, but after all the moaning and picking I do at other things, I better put money where my mouth is when it's my turn. Well that and I want it how I want it. :)

Here's an adjustment. Fixed the height proportions. It's kind of hard to tell, but the unarmed stance is now several pixels taller than longsword stance. Also some shading retouches and adjusted rear arm movement. I didn't quite want that much arm bounce, but principals of animation dictate too much > not enough, and the shading touches wouldn't work without it.

valis_idle_unarmed_3_lrg.gif

Anyone taking bets...? 😃

valis_idle_unarmed_3_demo_lrg.gifabadedeidle_lrg_0.gif

DC

Last edited:
Just finished up a whopper of a class project, and have to turn right around to work on another tomorrow. As a little break before turning in, I tried refining my shading a little more, this time on the legs. Once I'd reworked the arms and armor, the lower body just looked too plain and thin. Valis is supposed to be an all round peak athlete, not a cartoon gym bro who skips leg day.

Means I have to retrofit all the frames I've done so far, but I think the difference is big enough to warrant it.

shading_update_2023-12-03.png

shading_update_2023-12-03_lrg.png

DC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom