Art What I'm cooking - NED/Momotaro art

The thread is some time of visual artwork like sketch, painting, or sprite work.

NED

I'm glad to finally get into fight! Videl start to fight!!

New page of Videl's Chapter online! Page 5 - (4th page of story)
(My free Fan manga project)

4th page is online (french for now) - I'm translating it shortly...

See you on Twitter to read the complete pages.

twitter.com/MomotaroComics

XLhDRJ7.jpg

NED

Do you know how many shades of grey you use?
I use something like 7 or 8... It's definitely too much for classic manga.

Particularly when Toriyama in "Dragon Ball" almost don't use grey, he perhaps use 2 shades, but very well used.

However, Toyotaro/Toyble usually use more of them in "Dragon Ball Super" manga. But he uses a lot of light ones.
But I don't really like it. his pages usually looks a bit "faded" because of the lack of dark areas / or too many very light grey shades.
His work is a bad exemple of grey tone use I think, it doesn't "helps" the drawing part.
image-651.png

I tried to keep more contrast in mine to give a feeling of "color"

@Die_In_Fire For me too... I think she looked better.
Also, as soon as she cut her hair, she become a less important and "passive" character

Last edited:

maxman

Maybe. It's about the daughters saving their own parent from getting attacked by their enemies. Should've shown the video at first, but it's okay.

• Haha
Reactions: NED

NED

Maybe. It's about the daughters saving their own parent from getting attacked by their enemies. Should've shown the video at first, but it's okay.

Yes! Makes sense! I should definitely watch Cobra Kai.
So many people suggested me to do it :)

16-bit Fighter

I use something like 7 or 8... It's definitely too much for classic manga.

Particularly when Toriyama in "Dragon Ball" almost don't use grey, he perhaps use 2 shades, but very well used.

However, Toyotaro/Toyble usually use more of them in "Dragon Ball Super" manga. But he uses a lot of light ones.
But I don't really like it. his pages usually looks a bit "faded" because of the lack of dark areas / or too many very light grey shades.
His work is a bad exemple of grey tone use I think, it doesn't "helps" the drawing part.
image-651.png

I tried to keep more contrast in mine to give a feeling of "color"
If I made a black & white comic, how many shades you'd recommand me to use? I precise I don't use to make black & white comics. I even lost the habit to make comic, actually. (^^')
Anyway I like your way. And do you use exactly the same texture effect for each shade?

NED

If I made a black & white comic, how many shades you'd recommand me to use? I precise I don't use to make black & white comics. I even lost the habit to make comic, actually. (^^')
Anyway I like your way. And do you use exactly the same texture effect for each shade?
How many shades for you comics, I think it would depend on the style.
Just avoid to have unnecessary almost similar tones. (Un de mes profs des Beaux Arts nous disait toujours d'éviter l'"à peu près pareil")

Yes I use the same texture for all of them. (First I don't texture anything then I apply a texture layer to all shades)
It was a tentative to give my pages a page scan feeling.

16-bit Fighter

Thanks! Ideally I want the best ratio number of shades / efficiency.

Yes I use the same texture for all of them. (First I don't texture anything then I apply a texture layer to all shades)
It was a tentative to give my pages a page scan feeling.
I did it too for a colored comic, I like it and it's easy to do.

16-bit Fighter

Congrats for this new dynamic page! :D

On Twitter you propose to guess what happens next. So I wonder if Satan will discover her daughter's police job. But I especially wonder who she'll fight next! Anyway I didn't revise DBZ story, so I can't really guess if you're gonna make a connection with Boo's saga.

BTW did you ever use an unusual dimension like a horizontal page? I may test the square format in order to make less boxes.

NED

Thanks a lot, hommie ! 🤗
I think you have some interesting guess of what will happen.
I'll post the english version ASAP. Hopefully, more people will try to guess.

I'll try this time not to take 2 months to post a new page.☺️

No, I never tried different format.
At least not for comics.

Top Bottom