• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Anyway to run OpenBOR on Dolphin?

DDFernan

I know Dolphin's Netplay is not perfect, but is the closest I'll get for my friends and me to be able to play OpenBOR games online without Parsec (We don't have the best signal, so they don't like to use it)
I know they is some homebrew stuff you can play through Dolphin, so... any tips?

To be able to use Dolphin, you would need to use the WII port of openBOR. And many more recent games won't run on it.
(although, since its an emulator, MAYBE they will run).

@DDFernan

indeed, unfortunaltely the list of games that are going to be compatible with the wii will be very small.

one thing that might help, years back i tried to look for a way to use a local machine as a host, and for other users to connect to your machine remotely so their USB devices can work from another country
basically your machine takes those remote controlles as local inputs.

the other side of the equation is for the remote users to be able to see your screen in real time.

things happened , got sidetracked, but from memory i can tell you that the remote HID/usb device thing had a couple of githubs, as for streaming your openbor window remotely to your friends, there may be many options....

indeed, unfortunaltely the list of games that are going to be compatible with the wii will be very small.

Yeah... that's not true. At all. @oldyz, this isn't the biggest gaff in the world, but I've lost count of how many times I've warned you about posting misinformation. 10 day mute.

Now, for some actual facts. @DDFernan, much as I hate ports, any ports, that doesn't change what they can do. The Wii's 88MB is more than enough to run the majority of our catalog. The more recent and/or advanced games? That you might have trouble with. I don't see it running @Kratus's Streets of Rage 2X or Streets of Rage X any time soon. Probably not any of @magggas's more recent games either, and certainly not Ultimate Double Dragon from @Mr.Q!.

Outside of those, you're most likely OK, but you'll just have to experiment a little. Memory is not a simple matter of "bigger game use more". OpenBOR allows creators a lot of options for memory management. Some creators are very good at loading exactly the resources needed. Others not so much. Some even purposely opt to load everything at once into RAM from the get go (NightSlashersX is one of them).

Note the engine's default memory management scheme gradually loads resources as they are called for. Level assets are discarded after use, but models (characters in game) are NOT. This is because most games tend to reuse models once they appear the first time, so it's a logical compromise. This is also why some games may start off fine, then as you play more levels, they quit. There simply wasn't room in RAM to bring in more assets on top of the old ones.

@Plombo did most (all?) of the Wii port work, so he could offer more insight than I.

DC

@DDFernan

back when i had made some dolphin tests, i had to make an whole folder and files structure thing on a virtual SD card....
there was a recommended program that was used to mount the virtual SD card to windows so you could explore and place files,& the process is very similar to how you run MAME or SNES emulators and such.

Imdisk .. ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver

NOw - when i did my tests, i actually had the dolphin emulator with the wii channel and all the stuff - and the openbor thing was running from the SD card on homebrew channel, the process requires you to have a program that actually downloads files from the internet in order for you emulator to have the wii menu as if it where a real wii....

Here are the steps to Run Openbor using Homebrew channel on windows 10:

Download ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver Tools and utilities for Windows

Download this Virtual SD card NightSlashersWii
OR Download Virtual SD Card Maker Virtual SD Card Maker

Download Dolphin emulator, extract it and create a portable.txt inside the folder where the dolphin.exe is located

Download the Homebrew Channel https://github.com/FIX94/hbc/releases/download/1.1.4-1/Homebrew.Channel.-.OHBC.wad

Start Dolphin emulator and "insert" the Sd card like this:
INsert card.png

the open the homebrew.wad file
homebrew.png

you should see a screen similar to this next
channel.png

to edit a .RAW file just right click and mount the card:
mount.png
assin a letter:
assign.png
open the "D" drive , edit the contents with a new openbor folder or add pak files for testing, unmount
unmount.png
and load the homebrew channel again....

Last edited:
Dolphin Tests performed so far on windows 10:

He-MAn, using

OpenBOR v3.0 Build 6330 for wii

game loads, but a write error prompt appears, game becomes slide show

nightslashersXwide 2019, using the same build for wii as its windows counterpart and v 6391 too -
no load bars, text menus dont highlight correctly, some movesets like the running kick are weird, but so far playable

@DCurrent and @O Ilusionista -
that is what i meant, openbor for Wii on Dolphin wil probably have lots of games performing weird, most games i tested have menu problems, even with the latest dolphin emulator using windows 10...
MUltiplayer games with zero issues might be few...
something also breaks some versions of openbor on older dolphins, where if you rename the openbor folder to someting else, a "no paks in folder" message appears - which means that a virtual SD card can only hold one version of the engine at a time (i am sure this is no roblem on real hardware)

other than that, actually playing is no issue it the games manage to load
its no problem if you press start and start and start and just straight up play,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom