• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Franchises you wish had an openbor game

capcom's universe or multiverse is massive

another franchise that i would like to see have a good game is Godzilla,
but i can't imagine how the heck to make a good videogame adaptation of it.

SNK's king of the monsters comes to mind, but everytime i tried that game, it felt Meh....

i believe its almost impossible to convey a good feeling of colossal beings with sprites, 3D polygons do better, but its mostly in games with the style of shadow of the colossus
Sad but true, only game that captured that colossal being feeling for me was on NDS Bowser's inside story.

I would love to see a perfected version of Shadow Force (arcade Technos) on OpenBOR.

Visuals and controls were smooth, characters oozed style. You could possess enemies and use their moves.
The European version I played had only 3 buttons. The japanese had 6 which means that version had more moves.
I didn't know that back then ^^.

I would love to play an OpenBor version with the extended moveset and a dozen of enemies selectable right from the start:
like the one who does a dragon punch and the other who does Bison's psycho crusher.

@oldyz:

Did you try Mutant Fighter (arcade)? It gave me that feeling of giants fighting each other.
Granted you don't get to destroy a city like in the SNK games, it's a fantasy wrestling game, but the feeling is pretty close.
Review of Mutant Fighter here.

Edit: the first two screenshots are from Shadow Force, the 3d is From Mutant Fighter.

Attachments

• shadow_force_characters.jpg
    shadow_force_characters.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 7
  • shadow_force_shot1.png
    shadow_force_shot1.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 7
  • mutant_fighter.png
    mutant_fighter.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Seems like the game is waiting to be made by you lol.
I seen quite a few sprite sheets for Transformers on Spriters-resource.com and Deviant art.
Since Armored warriors exist I'm good but if I were to go the mech route it would be Gundam for sure.
Gundam would for sure be a fun one. You've got sprites to pull from snes and PS1.

Gundam would for sure be a fun one. You've got sprites to pull from snes and PS1.
To be honest I'd rather play Titanfall 2 or Armored warriors.
Currently busy with a Street Fighter beat em up.
Then on to Xmen MVC sprites. It's quite the hassle to make so I won't get to anything else.

@Whackadoo

i have checked out mutant fighter, and altho i disagree with the feeling of giants fightintg each other,
a Godzilla game that handles like a wrestling game might be the way to go,
to make it easy , the gameplay would be similar to those N64 wrestling titles by THQ
visually, something that is this weird "focus" or "ambient" effect that some origynal xbox games had, lets see if you can notice it on this video:
this effect is some weird combination of camera movement and focus, on this screen i can't really see it the way i remember it, but when you see it on a CRT it looked really cool, some original xbox games also had this effect on driving games like forza.
the only way i can describe this effect is that it feels like "the opposite of tilt shift effect"

the stages obviously, would be cities or countrysides with hills, smoke and dust clouds with particle effects would enhance the visuals greatly, and the most important element that is game-play is well taken care of using the wrestling game mechanics of those N64 games, with improvements of course....

Last edited:
Rushing Beat

I would love the whole series being remade. I always thought the franchise had potential but was lacking in many ways.
There is a notable OpenBOR module for Rushing Beat 1 made by @Joshiro and it's a great improvement over the original. (Edit: link here)

I dream of the same for Rushing Beat 2, aka Brawl Brothers, and Rushing Beat Shura (The Peace Keepers). Those iterations had better graphics, more moves/characters.

@oldyz:

Ah ok! I think I've found something to your liking. It's more recent, won't work on a potato, but it seems very good:

GigaBash (Windows, PS4, and PS5, Xbox, Switch) (Steam)

Basically huge monsters fighting other monsters while reducing entire cities to ashes. Just like King of Monsters NeoGeo but with Couch and multiplayer like Super Smash Bros. Nuts!
Note the 2 essential DLCs here: one adds Godzilla & Mecha Godzilla, the other adding Utraman and co. Here's the fan Wiki for the game.

Last edited:
@Whackadoo

mmm , it could be fun, reminds me of this:

(could not find any with 4 players on creen)

unfortunately, fists of furry its fun for about 30min and then we always went back to 2 hours of wrestling or to Goldeneye or to smash bros....

no good way of judjing it until i play the thing...

@Whackadoo

mmm , it could be fun, reminds me of this:

(could not find any with 4 players on creen)

unfortunately, fists of furry its fun for about 30min and then we always went back to 2 hours of wrestling or to Goldeneye or to smash bros....

no good way of judjing it until i play the thing...
Well, I was curious, and ended up playing its sequel, War of the Whiskers on GC, a year ago. One playthrough and you've seen it all..the game is a competent 3D isometric brawler(=like Powerstone) but it cruely lacks content, I can tell you that !

Well, I'm never going to get the time and willpower to actually code and barely beta-test the new modules here once every three months, so here's my wish to-do list of OpenBOR games :
-Beat'em up Ultimate Alliances, let's get it to work. At least with the OpenBOR original licenses, and changing resources to fit the aesthetic each time we enter another world, like KH costumes
-speaking about KH; a Yu-Gi-Oh game inspired by the Chain of Memories remake gameplay when you can use duel disks as melee attacks templates, the cards as range attacks or activate them to have zone attacks or effects, even stack them to special summon from the extra deck. The plot would see the antagonist from the BBT movie, Paradox, be offered an afterlife by the three egyptian gods in exchange of rewriting the course of history to favor their own hegemony, metaphor of a refusal of YGO's game mechanics natural evolution from slow boardbuilding to fast polyvalent combos.
-a Pokemon game carrying the theme of misery, conscience, environmentalism and bellicism in Southern France(my place ✌) where you would fight along your Pokemons with a basic moveset that they agrement with their own attacks used like special or even as mounts for some evolved form. You would be the emperor's disgraced child and be enroled by force by the team Rocket in a rebel underground group fighting the hegemony of the corrupt emperor over its territory. The game would have a scenic mission structure between ground, sea and air akin to Star Fox Assault.
-another sonic beat-em-up game(the ones we have here are gold, don't get me wrong !) that is focused on OC cultures, used with the approval of their creators, to bring the best of them as a team in the age-old world of Mobius, explorable with a world map containing main, random and surprise events as you explore it, like the og D&D:Rise of Warduke.

Here are my dreams. It's been fun to write this, thank you for bringing up the subject. Hopefully it can inspire you all any neat ideas, but I'm pretty sure you already have plenty of them too. See you around ! 🤗

Last edited:
I wanna see something a little more obtuse and out of the box. With enough creativity, anything can be a beat em up. Tetris vs Puyo Puyo - play as the blocks and fight your way through hordes of those adorable gummies.

Or perhaps even a beat em up translation of a non beat em up game... Super Mario Bros 2 is a perfect example: four playable characters (make their attacks different projectiles), a fair amount of enemies, and a handful of bosses.

... man, I unironically kinda wanna make a proof of concept for both of those...

I know that I'm kinda late to this discussion, but I've thinking that the one franchise that can be made into an OpenBOR game is the samurai-themed tabletop game called Legend of the Five Rings, with the story game modes telling the exploits of the eight great clans led by the kami, who were casted from the heavens and into the land of Rokugan.

I would really love to make a proper X-Men mod, with lots of combos, fly, airdash, etc. it's just IDK if I would have the time after my current projects anymore
I never realized the cost to making something on the level you been doing especially when it is come out of your pocket, it's great when there is a person that can do it all but outside of that I see why donations go along way with these fan made projects.
I can only imagine the MVC sprites used for a Xmen game but you most like use the snes game.
If you ever do something afterwards I'd suggest you rather work after you donation goals are met.
Maybe work on a original IP and use OpenBOR 4 then drop it on Steam/Epic since you already established yourself with your previous work that rival industry greats.
Heck you even inspired me into developing a game of sorts.

I never realized the cost to making something on the level you been doing especially when it is come out of your pocket, it's great when there is a person that can do it all but outside of that I see why donations go along way with these fan made projects.
I can only imagine the MVC sprites used for a Xmen game but you most like use the snes game.
If you ever do something afterwards I'd suggest you rather work after you donation goals are met.
Maybe work on a original IP and use OpenBOR 4 then drop it on Steam/Epic since you already established yourself with your previous work that rival industry greats.
Heck you even inspired me into developing a game of sorts.
Thanks for your words.
As a UMVC3 player, I would definetly use MVC sprites for that game, and IDK if I would use OpenBOR4, since its usage is different from the classic one, and I have been so many years on the scene that UDD+ and FFp will be my last projects. I don't have much time to play my own games lol, so if I ever made another game in the future, I might stick to classic OpenBOR.

Back
Top Bottom