• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

In Progress Night Stalkers by danno

The project is currently under development.
I always like how you work with parallax, nice work buddy.
(and thanks God you removed that red flash when every enemy dies. I wish I could travel back in time and slap the face of the first OpenBOR coder who did it in the first place, lol)

About the demo, maybe you can gather a small team of people you trust and send them the demo.
If I can give you a name, its @Psykai . She is trustfull (she beta test everything I do) and she is pretty skilled.
Also, count on me too.

thanks God you removed that red flash when every enemy dies

I removed other flashes too and screen shaking, I did it for my brother who suffered from epilepsy,

If I can give you a name, its @Psykai . She is trustfull (she beta test everything I do) and she is pretty skilled.
Also, count on me too.

Thanks buddy I remember you telling me about her skills before, I'll think about it a bit more and definitely come to you guys if I need help testing.

You added a ton of new moves to Jake. With an extended moveset and good story this game might have a good replay value.
I hope the other characters will get the same treatment move-wise. To sum up: excellent progress report.

A nitpick: at "2min:20 sec" it's ROTTEN SCUMS (not ROTEN).

Just to show the overall vibe I'm going for

I've spent the last week moving everything over to version 4 of the engine so I've had to update most of the scripts, also started repainting the stages as I've finished the characters now but I still need to correct how entities are spawned so there is still some palette issues with spawning.

I'm in two minds about releasing a demo, on one hand I feel like I want you guys to play it and give me more feedback and find problems I've overlooked but on the other hand I feel like if I release a demo I'll lose my drive to complete the whole game.
This is not new to me to tell that, not even a surprise, I love your vibe! :)

Has anyone experienced this before? Obviously I'm seeing different behavior in version 4 of the engine than version 3 and most of it I've corrected but I can't seem to figure this one out.

The first barrel (top of screen) turns into a throwable weapon when hit, even if I continue into the level if I do certain attacks it'll pop up into the playable area.

Never mind, it was my fault, I made an attack that kills all enemies and objects on screen and it interacts with everything despite positioning

C:
if(getentityproperty(vEntity, "type")==openborconstant("TYPE_ENEMY") || getentityproperty(vEntity, "type")==openborconstant ("TYPE_OBSTACLE"))

Since I'm not scrolling back into the level a simple offscreenkill of the barrel weapon fixed the problem.

The first barrel (top of screen) turns into a throwable weapon when hit, even if I continue into the level if I do certain attacks it'll pop up into the playable area.
Looks like the vortex is attracting the barrel, some time ago I made this kind of script for Kimono using DC's entity enumeration and it will attract objects no matter the distance, maybe you are using something similar.

All I can say about your latest update video is...
TOTAL ACTION!!!!!
I second that!
I was expecting the arcade version to play like seen in the video or like my personal favorite Caddilacs and Dinosaurs since it has everything from combos,command moves,range weapons etc.

Love the throws and the impact of the slam.
Ever consider having unique death animations linked to those slams?
Like a power bomb that leave only the legs sticking out from the ground.

Awesome work @danno

Not done much over the last couple months as my personal life is a bit upside down, learnt how to use Git hub finally and decided to update Night Stalkers to 3 players.

fxmPWQ8.png

I'm going to experiment some more as I'm still not sold on 3 players, oh and I made some custom life bars.

I'm going to experiment some more as I'm still not sold on 3 players, oh and I made some custom life bars.
3 players look natural though in this case with the custom life bars but I never been sold on 3 player since it been my bro and I since day so 2 player was always the way.

3 players is growing on me and I've decided to keep it, final part of how I'm going to piece this all together is redoing how enemies spawn.
Is it possible to add AI buddies like in Final fight 3 on the snes?
Game looks dope, not a fan of the original with all the bugs I encountered.
I'm glad we getting a proper version and it looks clean.

I have an idea that it would be more interesting if Spider-Man danno went to kill zombies himself.(just kidding😂)
This version is great! But I always feel something is missing.🤔

...This version is great! But I always feel something is missing.🤔
I understand what you feel William, I too believe there's room for improvement.
I'm happy when I see what danno is doing, his version will be a better experience for sure.
The arcade version had potential but was luckluster to say the least. Two things bother me, right now:

1- Grapple Moves

Something about the timings and the visual effects feel off. Too fast or too slow animation, I'm not sure but I feel it. I need modders expertise to understand this. Same deal for the burst effects when enemies are grabbed and hit the ground, the flashing animation feels jerky, stuttering. Tweaking (speeding up) the burst visual effects might solve the issue?

2- Sound effects

Maybe my personal taste but sound effects feel weak, especially the bone-shaterring sounds.
The original had these sounds too, trying to mimic how zombies bones would break. But sound is too soft.
Why not making these sound effects more brutal, more raw. Killing enemies would feel more satisfying, I think.

Is it possible to add AI buddies like in Final fight 3 on the snes?

I was considering Ai partners,

but decided against it, I had to make a creative choice between 2 players and an Ai partner or 3 players that all have interactive moves with each other on screen and I went for 3 players instead, I really don't want the screen to be too busy with 4 players because of the sprite size and screen space.

This version is great! But I always feel something is missing

I removed the score, maybe that's what you're feeling is missing, numbers on the screen, I didn't see the point in having a score, I mean really what's the point?

Something about the timings and the visual effects feel off. Too fast or too slow animation, I'm not sure but I feel it. I need modders expertise to understand this. Same deal for the burst effects when enemies are grabbed and hit the ground, the flashing animation feels jerky, stuttering. Tweaking (speeding up) the burst visual effects might solve the issue?

This was intentional, I slowed down some effects, made some transparency and removed some flashing and screen shake on purpose, the main reason for this was my brother who suffered from epilepsy, I wanted to make it less intense for him so he could enjoy playing it too but he died via complications with his epilepsy, I've always been very cautious about flashing lights and shaking screens in video games due to this reason.

Maybe my personal taste but sound effects feel weak, especially the bone-shaterring sounds.
The original had these sounds too, trying to mimic how zombies bones would break. But sound is too soft.
Why not making these sound effects more brutal, more raw. Killing enemies would feel more satisfying,

This is definitely something I will be working on in the final stages, I think sound and music are just as important in games and not just the action and really add to the overall feel of the atmosphere, I've already changed the music for a more 80's synth horror theme and redoing the sound effects is a must also.

@danno:

I didn't know about your brother, My Sincere Condolescence to you and your Family.
Now I understand the bias with the lighting. Thank you for the insight.

About the sound design, I already noticed the quality jump with the new soundtrack. Much appreciated.

I've always been very cautious about flashing lights and shaking screens in video games due to this reason.
I too ain't a fan of flashing lights in games for the same reasons and will reduce it in my game to keep it grounded as well.
I swear CAP wanted to blind me with MVC3 especially.
@Whackadoo When it come to brutal sound effects, What you think of UMK3?

I was considering Ai partners, but decided against it, I had to make a creative choice
3 player look more authentic but its cool knowing to it can be done, I will try it for sure though.
It's a learning process for me.
I like the idea of ai buddies that perform support moves and setups, not just walk around and kill folk.
I don't see fault with what you doing, seeing those slams give me hope.

Back
Top Bottom