• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Punch Out Like OpenBOR Game?

Aerisetta

Has anyone ever made a game that's kinda like PunchOut?

Maybe it's a mode inside a game

Would love to see an example of it

Has anyone ever made a game that's kinda like PunchOut?

Maybe it's a mode inside a game

Would love to see an example of it

Not that I know of. While like anything else it could be made perfectly down to the last pixel, it's just not something anyone skilled enough really bothered with.

The closest (and I say this VERY loosely) is @NickyP's take on Phantasy Star 2. It doesn't really come close to Phantasy Star or Punchout, but on a basic level might give you a rough idea where to start from.

Unfortunately it's not in resources, so @NickyP will need to upload us a copy for you to see.

DC

The only one that comes to mind is this mod here. But it's not exactly as you think. But it is possible to do so with script.

However, I have the painbox entity thing created by Piccolo from years ago. You can take a look at the entity's bbox and its onpain and doattack scripts for the pain animation if you like. It's absolutely possible to have an entity to react with pain in different ways within the limb reaction.

Attachments

• painboxent.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 2
@Aerisetta

there was a bonus game or gameplay mode thing for mugen/ikemen that features a mike tyson punch out level, and an actual mike tyson sprite that moves pretty much like the snes character does.
also a duck hunt thing where you play as a standard 2d fighter character against a duck hunt level where you get to kill the ducks....
the files are very similar to the files used for any standard character in mugen, maybe those files might help you a bit if you have made conversions from mugen to openbor. at the very least those files have the sprites needed for the stage and the mike

The closest (and I say this VERY loosely) is @NickyP's take on Phantasy Star 2. It doesn't really come close to Phantasy Star or Punchout, but on a basic level might give you a rough idea where to start from.

Unfortunately it's not in resources, so @NickyP will need to upload us a copy for you to see.

I'm amazed @DCurrent even remembers that project! I think I made it for some Phantasy Star fan page way back when or something... looking back at my files, apparently it was 14 years ago.

Anyways, you can find the last version here. It's not particularly good, but as DC said, it somewhat mimics the type of gameplay you're looking for.

I'm amazed @DCurrent even remembers that project! I think I made it for some Phantasy Star fan page way back when or something... looking back at my files, apparently it was 14 years ago.

Anyways, you can find the last version here. It's not particularly good, but as DC said, it somewhat mimics the type of gameplay you're looking for.

I usually remember stuff well, but int his case, it might be because I've always had a PS2 concept myself floating around. Phantasy Star 2 wasn't my first RPG, but it was the first one that actually made me care about the protagonists. Much as I love FF7, Nei did it before Aerith! 😭

DC

Much as I love FF7, Nei did it before Aerith! 😭

Not to derail the thread here, but this is a hill I've been defending for years.

Aeris' death was iconic, but it enjoyed the benefit of perfectly orchestrated music and then-groundbreaking FMVs. However, Nei's death was not only more emotionally impactful, it was downright  sinister on the part of Sega.

Phantasy Star 2 is a hard game, the player will likely die multiple times before reaching the boss battle against Neifirst. At this point, you treat it like anything else; you have no reason to think there's any meaningful consequences to losing, other than having to reload the save and trying again. But then you lose, and something unexpected happens - Nei dies, and permanently. You reset the game, give it a second shot, lose, and watch her die again. Maybe you're doing something wrong. You exit the dungeon, grind a bit, maybe upgrade her equipment, and try again. Maybe this time, you actually win ... but it still doesn't matter, she dies either way, even if you win.

When Aeris dies, the player is merely an observer to tragedy. But when Nei dies, the player experiences it firsthand. And whether you win or lose the boss battle, death is inevitable - just as it is in real life.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

There was someone who started a Punch-Out mod but it was just on the old BOR engine.

I thought of trying it ages ago because there are some cool custom sprites

Punch-Out! on nes is kind of a perfect game already. The only real reason to do it would be to have custom sprites. There's a lot of nuances, you would have to be very knowledgeable of the original game and how it works.

Back
Top Bottom