• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Samurai Shodown RPG

Hi guys, thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of all this stuff.
I'm always happy to support, so depending on how things evolve I might reach out to him as well at some point. Still early to say.

@msmalik681 for now lets stick to the plan, if this is still fine with you. I'm enjoying the challenge and the kanjis table is done at almost 50% now. I will complete it in a couple of days. I'm very curious to see what comes afterwards :)

50% that is some nice progress. Tell the truth I would like to attempt trying to translate this game too. If you don't mind maybe we can translate to both English and Spanish at the same time.

I am trying to get help from him with updating the sprites in the game.

Look, I just want to offer support. That is all. That's was 10 years ago. Maybe he has changed. Whatever happens...happens. If he finishes that's fine. If he doesn't finishes, that's also fine. What happened in the past, happened in the past. Let's keep an open mind for now.

Last edited:
A Samurai fears not death,
struggles to triumph over kanjis!

I'm done with the kanjis table! 💪 the last 300 were a real challenge 😄

Here we go! kanjis hex table

Looking forward to the next steps! And yes, I'll be happy if we can complete this translation in English and Spanish at the same time ;)

Last edited:
Great job you are indeed well versed in the ways of Bushido.

OK now I need to use this table to extract the raw Japanese in game text. Be aware this next part is huge this is the reason the game has gone so long without a translation.

I really want to jump into the translation side of things now but that will be stupid. Once you have completed the translations I have to carefully choose combinations of characters as a single 16 pixel tile would be wasted on one character. This could add up quickly we have around 1700 tiles and the English alphabet has 26 characters so:

26x26 All lower case characters combi.
26x26 All capitals with lower combi.
26. A space followed by lower.
26. Space followed by capital.
26. Each char followed by a space.
26. Lower char followed by full stop.
26. Lower char followed by !
26. Lower char followed by ,
26. Lower followed by ?

Total=1,534

Almost at the limit and we still need tiles for numbers and single tile English also a lot of menu tiles use a single Kangi to represent something like a herb or armour also some special moves have dedicated tiles, so we will need a lot of dedicated tiles for menus too. If we can confirm a combination is not needed for example "aq" this will free up 2 tiles for lower and upper case combination for this reason it would be best if I wait for you to complete the translation first then I can check and leave out anything not needed to free up tiles.

I will get started with the text dumping but I don't have much free time, I will get back to you soon. @Exxis @David Tyler If you want to support us please find me some cheats so I can easily play though this game.

Great job you are indeed well versed in the ways of Bushido.

OK now I need to use this table to extract the raw Japanese in game text. Be aware this next part is huge this is the reason the game has gone so long without a translation.

I really want to jump into the translation side of things now but that will be stupid. Once you have completed the translations I have to carefully choose combinations of characters as a single 16 pixel tile would be wasted on one character. This could add up quickly we have around 1700 tiles and the English alphabet has 26 characters so:

26x26 All lower case characters combi.
26x26 All capitals with lower combi.
26. A space followed by lower.
26. Space followed by capital.
26. Each char followed by a space.
26. Lower char followed by full stop.
26. Lower char followed by !
26. Lower char followed by ,
26. Lower followed by ?

Total=1,534

Almost at the limit and we still need tiles for numbers and single tile English also a lot of menu tiles use a single Kangi to represent something like a herb or armour also some special moves have dedicated tiles, so we will need a lot of dedicated tiles for menus too. If we can confirm a combination is not needed for example "aq" this will free up 2 tiles for lower and upper case combination for this reason it would be best if I wait for you to complete the translation first then I can check and leave out anything not needed to free up tiles.

I will get started with the text dumping but I don't have much free time, I will get back to you soon. @Exxis @David Tyler If you want to support us please find me some cheats so I can easily play though this game.
Unfortunately, that's not going to be easy. You might want to reach out to Tux on NeoRaine forums,1Emulation.com, and see if he can help you out.

I think this should cover all of the story text not sure about the battle text or menu text but this should keep you busy for some time. try to keep the formatting around the text the same if you can but the most important part is after each text box is a ($FF)($FF) so any text before that is all for 1 text box. I can proof ready any English but the Spanish will be a copy and paste job.

Each folder has the same raw Japanese files so replace the Japanese text with English in the eng folder and Spanish in the spn folder. If you can think of a better system please let me know. If any of the files seem off or corrupt please let me know. This was my first time dumping text so I may have made a mistake but I tried my best to be careful. Keep us posted on your progress.

That was fast! Thanks for the files. Now I understand why it takes so long to translate this game :ROFLMAO:
I will keep the format untouched, but is there any limitation on the number of latin characters I can use for each translated sentence?

For any one message box don't go over 64 characters that inclues spaces. 32 characters per line (if that was not obvious lol).

I know how the pointer tables work but i don't think I can add more message boxes without breaking the game.

I will test tomorrow and get back to you.

Hey @msmalik681 glad to hear you're feeling better.
From my side i'm still thinking on how to best approach this. I've started drafting a bit the Spanish version (since Spanish is my native language I thought it would be easier to tackle) to get a feeling on how much amount of work this could take.

The good news:
- The translation table i did works really well and is very accurate. From what i can see no weird kanjis for now.
- That said, it is actually possible (and faster) to translate some parts using google translate for example.

The not-so-good-news:
1. Working with raw data is a real pain. Many words are splitted within <pause><$xx> and it makes it very slow to read the format and progress (yet kanjis combinations can lead to different meanings).
2. It is difficult to translate on the fly, since this is a conversational game in where 1,2 or more characters may be involved at the same time. I need to grab sometimes a big bunch of text and see how it makes sense. Without seeing the actual game screen, its sometimes hard to guess who is speaking and the conversation flow.

One idea I have in mind to speed up things a bit would be to actually use google translate with converted txt to pdf files (pasting text in the web has a character limitation). Then once these have been automatically translated, convert them again into plain txt (hopefully this way GT will not make funny things with the pointers as I saw when pasting text directly, like adding extra spaces), and then start reviewing the original jpn files vs the target languages. Review manually and correct words/sentences where it doesn't make sense. And then rinse and repeat again.

For spanish we will also need 8 new characters: á é í ó ú ñ ¡ ¿

It is no secret that this will take time. Working on both languages at the same time will double the amount of work. I am inclined to start first with the spa version as it will be easier for me, and once done, getting the english version should be (hopefully) way faster. If someone wants to try the same approach with english in parallel, that would also be of help.

No estimations on timeline :) It is indeed a lot of work, that I can do only in my free time after work and other duties.
But surely I will keep updated as it progresses ;)

Last edited:
Sounds good if your more comfortable translate to Spanish then English but using google translate sounds bad as I heard Japanese does not translate very well to other languages, but if that is the only way lets do it. For now try to stick to the limit I mentioned 64 per box and 32 per line you may need to adjust what they are saying to fit.

Right now I am trying to figure out where all the battle text is stored it does not seem to be in the MSGD files but there are too many files to manually check so I am trying to write a programme to relative search all the raw .PRG files.

Here is a reformatted version it only has the Japanese and [texbox_end] so you know when the text box ends.

Hope this one is easier to work with.

Thank you, yes indeed this one looks a lot easier :)
But if I open for example the first file, MSGD10A0.PRG, the first textbox has 83 characters:

お触れが出されてな・・・ 江戸には行けなくなってる この高崎の関所は通行止めだ お上の考えていることはわからんよ・・・ 何かあったのか・・・ 江戸で・・・

the second textbox, 86:
げ、幻十郎! この高崎の関所は通行止めだ! そんな目で見るな・・・ 江戸でなんかあったらしい しばらくしたら、通れるようになる枯華院でおとなしくしていろ

file MSGD10B0.PRG:

second textbox:

" かたじけない 風のうわさに聞きました この世のものとも思えない 究極の花というものが存在すると 博識で名高い先生でしたら 花のありかをご存じかと思い 訪ねて参ったしだいです "

142 characters including spaces.

Is it possible then to go beyond 64 and I can use spaces to store other characters?

OK so it seems where I have [TEXBOX_END] that is the end of the text for that system call and these big text sections the player will continue to press a button to skip to the next text box it would be easier to follow if you were playing the game at the same time. But 1 text box can hold 64 characters so separate them after each 64 characters that will be where the player presses the key and it moves to the next text box.

edit: that wont be right as in some cases they end a line early. I will try to study the game while checking the message parameters to get a better rip.

Back
Top Bottom