• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Making SOR2 sprites

16-bit Fighter

I've opened this thread for us to talk about the best way to create a SOR2 sprites. It's a plan for a new char of course! I'd love to have a tutorial like the kind of this one (it's for Capcom style).
I confess I'm starting without having thought a lot about it. Thus I'd like to know if someone have already explored this question... By instance, is better to make draws or just do pixel art?
But maybe there are already tutorials about it...

Hi 16-bit Fighter, I'm used to create SOR2 sprites. We can talk about it by mp or Discord longer.
The first thing to consider is the sprite size and the colors used in a SOR character.
You can make a test with an idle frame to begin. I'm just curious about which kind of character are you planning to create?

Hi Kimono! Thanks for your proposition but I consider the more we are numerous in the topic the best it is. I think the challenge is high enough to meet up all possible intelligences. ;) Moreover, it can be useful for other people given the love for SOR and the WIP SOR2X. ^^
About the size, I refer to a standing Axel sprite (when walking), knowing the character is 6' tall, I think. About  the colors, I prefer to use MD's palette as much as possible.

kimono said:
I'm just curious about which kind of character are you planing to create?
I didn't chose yet. It may be from another game's char, totally from scratch or from videos (yes, I have some resources ^^). It's a not precise project for now. First I just want to know how difficult it is.

This guide to creating sprites
SOR 2-3 format.

I'll probably write a little about it
All. First you need to decide
how many pixels do you need.

And for this we need from 33 to 61
pixel
wide and 68 to 84 pixels high.
To better understand here are some examples:
1) Max: Width 39, Height 77px
2) Blaze: width 46, height 72 pixels.
3) Axel: width 42, height 77 pixels.
4) Adam version SOR2X: width 42,
height 82 pixels
5) Adam BKM version: width 40, height 78
pixel
6) Gilbert Zahn: width 59, height 82 pixels.
7) Skate: width 33, height 68 pixels.

Now that we have decided on the width and
height, now we need a color palette.

And with the color palette, honestly, I'm not particularly
figure it out. But I'll try to say something
adam bkm (1).png
Adam's BKM color palette goes here
thus: 5,3,5 - where the first 5 is
skin palette, 3 is a yellow top, and the last
5 is pants. But for a mega drive
The palette doesn't really fit.
adam bkm (1) (1) (1).png

Mega drive itself
will replace this palette with something
similar because of which it can happen
that almost the entire palette went down the drain.

Forgive me for my terrible English

almost the entire palette went down the drain.

You can downgrade the gradient of the palette to the original Megadrive/Genesis but you have to manually check over and reproduce it piece by piece allowing your software to automatically do it will reproduce an undesirable effect because the software will grab the nearest colour mathematically when really you should do it with your eye, It's a lot more work but the results are much better.

You can downgrade the gradient of the palette to the original Megadrive/Genesis but you have to manually check over and reproduce it piece by piece allowing your software to automatically do it will reproduce an undesirable effect because the software will grab the nearest colour mathematically when really you should do it with your eye, It's a lot more work but the results are much better.

I have already worked with Adam's palette SOR 1.
Here's what it will look like
1 (1).png

And here is the palette of all players in SOR 2
Player palette sor 2.png

Back
Top Bottom