• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Play OpenBOR games online using Steam Remote Play Together

Kratus

OpenBOR Developer
Staff member
Hi guys!

After Dotemu announcing that SOR4 is up to 4 players online, I'm searching a way to play OpenBOR games online too. Thanks to the "Steam Remote Play Together", I'm happy to say that now we can play our modules online with our friends.

Originally this new feature works with original Steam Games that have this option enabled by default, you can check all compatible titles in the store.
But with some tricks that I readed in forums, I found a way to use this feature with any game, including non-steam games, emulators and openbor.

First, I suggest to see some info about remote play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPgQMi_h8c
https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay?l=english
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-riav-1617#how

Considering that you read the tutorials and learned the basics of the remote play, we can go to the next step. The process is simple, you need to copy all OpenBOR content folder inside any Steam game folder that HAS NATIVE REMOTE PLAY TOGETHER SUPPORT. In my case, I replaced the game "Horizon Chase Tubo" using OpenBOR and RetroArch, both worked very well. I will show a step-by step tutorial:

1 - Buy any game that has Remote Play Together feature enabled (check it in Steam Store)
2 - Install the game
3 - Make a copy of the original Steam game folder, to safe (In my case is "steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Chase")
4 - Delete all Steam game content in the folder (In my case is "steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Chase")
5 - Copy all OpenBOR content (OpenBOR.exe, Paks, Saves, etc) inside the Steam game folder (In my case is "steam\steamapps\common\Horizon Chase")
6 - Rename OpenBOR.exe file with the same name of the Steam game *.exe (In my case, I renamed OpenBOR.exe to HorizonChase.exe)
7 - Open Steam and launch the game. In my case, Horizon Chase Turbo will open OpenBOR but with all Steam features enabled and of course Remote Play too
8 - Press Shift+Tab to open Steam Panel, select any friend in your "friend list", right click and you will see Remote Play option ready to use. Once you clicked, your friend will receive an invite and if confirmed both will play the same game.

Now, some details:

- The player who owns the game is always the Host
- No need to both players to have the same game, only the Host
- Remote Play will treat both Host/Client as the same computer. In other words, all remote players will use the Host computer like yours
- You can connect joysticks on both Host/Client with no conflicts. In my case, the Host used a Xbox 360 controller and the Client used a PS4 controller, both working well as if they were connected to the same computer.
- Both Host/Client keyboard and mouse will work as the same of the Host
- Tested with 2 players but I think it can be played by 4 players too

For now, this is it. I hope that I explained well but if necessary I can make a video tutorial.

The program Parsec is much better for this, I'd still like to know how you get this to work on steam though.

Kratus Did you run into any sound issues when trying this with 2X? I just did a playthrough of SoRR using this emthod a few days ago but there was no audio so I had to share my system sound through Skype. Did you have any similar issues.

I would love to be able to play 2X online as well but my issue that I don't know that I have mentioned before is when using arcade sticks I get a LOT of issues with 2X and OpenBoR in general. The main one that is VERY odd is that the inputs are reversed when setting controls... So while P1 and P2 set their own buttons they are actually setting the buttons of the opposite player.

This means I have to write down all the button numbers and then press the button to correspond with the other players side. It's doable offline but online this would be a real pain. Is there anything hat can be done about this?

YMB 9 Shinzou Do you know what pcb your arcade stick is? With madcatz sticks I always have a problem with button configuration in openbor and games on steam but with my cthulhu arcade board I have no problems at all

danno

Not entirely sure what the models of PCB but I have a Madcatz TE 2 and the Quanba Evo Q2. The thing is though that they will both work fine if used as the one player controller but when plugged in together they swap inputs when playing 2X. Basically I have to set the controls for one stick by using the corresponding button numbers on the OTHER stick. Very confusing.

danno said:
The program Parsec is much better for this, I'd still like to know how you get this to work on steam though.

danno
I don't  know about Parsec, is good to know that it is much better. Have you posted any tutorial about it?
I will make some tests, thanks!

YMB 9 Shinzou
Everything worked well in my tests, graphics, audio and controls. The problem that you are saying is an little engine issue.
I suggest to connect your controllers before open OpenBOR to recognize correctly. In my case, I'm using Xbox 360 controllers and when player 2 joystick is turned on, then the OpenBOR recognize it as player 1 (and player 1 is changed to player 2). But it is a visual issue only because both joysticks will work correctly, the only problem is that will be shown with the wrong player number. I tested with 4 player and had no problems.

Kratus

It might not be a visual issue only if you are using two matching controllers but because the buttons are different numbers on different controllers, the mapping of the controls is actually backwards. Like I say it's not a big issue offline because I have all the numbers written down for my two sticks but playing online this would be a pain.

danno

Parsec seems like a lot more work to me, has the problem of duplicate audio without using discord and apparently isn't as smooth as Remote Play Together. Besides having to skype my audio from SOR Remake to my friend it was pretty much a flawless playthrough.

I've had no problems with Parsec but I do just use the play games, I've never tried to set up a mic or chat but I'm sure we'll figure it out, My user name is dannoranks so when you guys have free time we can fine tune things and see whats what 

YMB 9 Shinzou said:
Kratus

It might not be a visual issue only if you are using two matching controllers but because the buttons are different numbers on different controllers, the mapping of the controls is actually backwards. Like I say it's not a big issue offline because I have all the numbers written down for my two sticks but playing online this would be a pain.

danno

Parsec seems like a lot more work to me, has the problem of duplicate audio without using discord and apparently isn't as smooth as Remote Play Together. Besides having to skype my audio from SOR Remake to my friend it was pretty much a flawless playthrough.

Sorry danno, I'm out of my PC now but we can try it in another time.

YMB 9 Shinzou
I understand you but I really had no problems during my tests. During remote play I could see that both host/client joysticks worked well, as if they are connected in the same computer.
The only issue is the player number problem in joystick configuration that you mentioned before, but the same happens with local multiplayer too

Kratus

Oh yes the having to configure the buttons backwards is a issue locally not online... just that locally I can write all the buttons down on a sheet of paper whereas online that would be more difficult.

@Kratus & @danno

unfortunately parsec is not easily available to old machines

but on new machines i have accessed i did notice that one thing that is a requirement for a parsec-ready openbor game is that the configuration files have to feature 4 xinput controllers already mapped for best results-
the same goes for Batocera adapted games...
don't know it they have to be Xbox ones controllers or if xbox 360 controllers will do

i do have a questiona about a steam account,
( i dislike digital digital licensing and always online stuff very much, so i am not too fond of steam)- do you have to give them any personal info or you can use an Anon account?

anyway if Anon accounts are allowed, to those who can, i suggest gettign this on an alternate USB or SDD boot device....

Back
Top Bottom