• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

SORX Resolution

Based on the video posted, what SORX resolution do you like most?

• Current SORX resolution (480x272)

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Original SORX resolution but widescreen (396x224)

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kratus

OpenBOR Developer
Staff member
Buddies, I would like to know your opinion about a thing, the SORX resolution. For now I'm just doing some tests, but after seeing the SORX in the same pixel size as the original I need to admit that I really liked the visual, it's more "alive" and vibrant, to the point it's strange to go back to the current one officially applied.
On the other hand the current resolution allows more things at once on the screen, making necessary a sprite rework in case I change it... Indeed I'm divided.

In the video below you will see 3 comparisons: original (just for reference), SORX with original pixel size but widescreen, and SORX current. Between options 2 and 3, what option do you like most?
The current resolution (smaller sprites) is 480x272 and the new one tested in the video (bigger sprites) is 396x224, which corresponds to the same pixel size as the 320x224 but with an additional extra space to make it widescreen. Please, ignore the wrong camera position in the second test because I just changed the parameters in the video.txt.

Original widescreen, But I think it might be better if you make it a separate version of the game, maybe have a second exe to launch because it will change the entire gameplay completely,

One thing I really struggle with is which resolution to use,Original widescreen will play faster and harder because you have less reaction time and space to maneuver and plot strategy, things will happen on screen quicker too because there's less space to see it coming, little things like that change the gameplay.

Although the resolution of 480x272 was originally designed for psp, and psp port has not been updated for a long time, and the small memory of psp cannot adapt to the new bor game now. I still voted this resolution. The reasons are as follows:

1. The difference between the sega original and the current 272-lines is mainly to widen the street space in the middle, that is, the depth of the combat area. On the basis of retaining the original pixels, the area of the battlefield is expanded. This partly helps the mod accommodate more full-screen characters, enemy soldiers, and intense combat. If go back to the original field size, everything will become more crowded and chaotic on the field.

2.New 224-lines widescreen do not return to the original vanilla pixels, but only cut off the top 48 pixels on the basis of the 272-line scene, resulting in image missing.If it's just that the camera position is wrong and the final result will be adjusted, please ignore this one.

3. Nowadays, most games are played on 2k, 4k resolution, at least 1920x1080.and large-size screens. Reducing the vertical resolution will increase the magnification of the image, resulting the characters to scale magnify more on the screen,but the pixels of the current character are not enough, sometimes we have to use the third-party shaders to conceal blemishes (such as reshade). Lower vertical resolution of bor means greater magnification on the screen. Will cause more detailed defects to be magnified. This leads to a decline in the overall visual experience.

4.Compared with the current mainstream high-definition games, the original resolution of bor games is already considered small. Continuing to reduce the resolution of bor games should not be the direction of development.

Last edited:
it was hard to cast my vote because i went through this crud already....

Current SORX resolution (480x272), makes characters look smaller, same thing happened with night slashers and i hate the fact that the characters look smaller,

(the fact that SOR has small-ish sprites already makes things look worse)
compare.png
since i could not modify the engine , i decided to use the 480 option because other engine ports like the wii verison of openbor would break with the 426 by 240 resolution....

that said, i find that if you program the game to work as a 480 deal, and then change the video file to 396 or 426, i found that the game was still very playable....

hell , if you can you can have both versions, but it is kind of a pain to adjust add and subtract to convert the spawns, so i guess updating some of your lots of custom scripts would be also another pain

Unfortunately, I think many members who voted for line 224 did not carefully distinguish the difference in the video, and did not notice the fact the top 48 pixels of the picture were cut off.

Unless the characters are large like Kof, a small resolution is suitable for games with characters that are small compared to the resolution. And the background and objects will match accordingly, making production easy.

Unfortunately, I think many members who voted for line 224 did not carefully distinguish the difference in the video, and did not notice the fact the top 48 pixels of the picture were cut off.
indeed, i don't know why it looks like that, if the height does not change there is no reason for that to happen....

Kratus mentions that we have to ignore this, since the camera position was changed...

but it should be looking sort of like this:
480-240.jpg

426-by-240.jpg

@Kratus, @lanyer - here is a post with the graphic comparisons and why i did not do 16 by 9:

of course, you may be able to fix the 16 by 9 "artifact" issue and the android ports not accepting it...

We had a long private conversation about it and I confess I'm still torn about what would be best.

The advantages:
- Sprites look bigger

- It has the advantage that you no longer need to complete the scenarios on the Y axis

But there are some catches:
- The sprites look bigger even though it's just an optical illusion, especially when you see it on video. If you take a screenshot, you will see that the characters are the same size.

I did some tests that day, apparently the sprites look bigger

(normal)
Avengers_-_0016.png

(cut)
Avengers_-_0017.png

but when you compare side by side in the screenshot, you notice that they are the same size.

image.png

image.png

- You would have to redo everything that wasn't done in video (because videos adapt to the resolution, that is, you already made videos in 1920x1080 in real 16:9*), such as cutscene sprites (you use them)

- You would lose the fourth player which, for some, could be a problem.

- And in a post above, they commented about non-standard resolutions causing problems in some ports, such as Wii, PSP and Android. About the first two, I honestly don't care and your game probably doesn't even run on those platforms anymore, so it wouldn't be a problem. But I would need to check on Android, as losing that platform would be very bad.

I confess that I was tempted to change my game to a 2:1 (544x272) ratio, lol.
Avengers_-_0019.png

So, in my humble opinion, I don't think it's such an easy decision to make and maybe the bonus doesn't outweigh the burden.

* Regarding "real 16:9", 480x272 resolution is not actually 16:9 resolution. For it to be the correct aspect ratio, it should be either 484x272 or 480x270.

It's easy to check this: just put the game in full screen and don't use the "stretch to fit" option. You will notice two small black bars at the edges of the image to compensate for the difference in size.

You can see it in this video here

Sega Genesis/MD version. Due to functional limitations, there are not many enemies on the same screen, but now there are many more characters in the bor version. If change the resolution to a smaller size, how crowded the scene will be?Not to mention the rebound from the edge of the screen, air-juggling,,,Many players also hope that the resolution will continue to be increased to adapt to these new changes.

We had a long private conversation about it and I confess I'm still torn about what would be best.

The advantages:
- Sprites look bigger

- It has the advantage that you no longer need to complete the scenarios on the Y axis

But there are some catches:
- The sprites look bigger even though it's just an optical illusion, especially when you see it on video. If you take a screenshot, you will see that the characters are the same size.

I did some tests that day, apparently the sprites look bigger

(normal)
Avengers_-_0016.png

(cut)
Avengers_-_0017.png

but when you compare side by side in the screenshot, you notice that they are the same size.

image.png

image.png

- You would have to redo everything that wasn't done in video (because videos adapt to the resolution, that is, you already made videos in 1920x1080 in real 16:9*), such as cutscene sprites (you use them)

- You would lose the fourth player which, for some, could be a problem.

- And in a post above, they commented about non-standard resolutions causing problems in some ports, such as Wii, PSP and Android. About the first two, I honestly don't care and your game probably doesn't even run on those platforms anymore, so it wouldn't be a problem. But I would need to check on Android, as losing that platform would be very bad.

I confess that I was tempted to change my game to a 2:1 (544x272) ratio, lol.
Avengers_-_0019.png

So, in my humble opinion, I don't think it's such an easy decision to make and maybe the bonus doesn't outweigh the burden.

* Regarding "real 16:9", 480x272 resolution is not actually 16:9 resolution. For it to be the correct aspect ratio, it should be either 484x272 or 480x270.

It's easy to check this: just put the game in full screen and don't use the "stretch to fit" option. You will notice two small black bars at the edges of the image to compensate for the difference in size.

You can see it in this video here

Different mods have different situations. For your Avengers, I strongly recommend changing the resolution to 480x270, because for the mainstream 1080P resolution display, or 4K display 2160P, the vertical resolution of 270 can be enlarged by integers for better Fitting, so that the picture and characters can be point-to-point, with the best sharpness to eliminate artifacts. It's just that the current UI scaling is a bit problematic. Just like the example in your screenshot, after changing to 270, there is a large black block on the right side of the UI.

I am in favor of the 480x272 resolution proposal. Here are my reasons:

1. Enlarging images on larger screens when using a lower resolution will degrade the visual experience.
  2. A lower resolution may reduce the number of simultaneously displayed enemies on the screen.
  3. Achieving extended air combos and wall bouncing combos could become challenging due to the requirement for ample display space both vertically and horizontally.
  4. Maintaining compatibility with SOR2X's resolution ensures seamless integration of assets from the previous game into the new one.

First, thanks everyone for the feedbacks :)

Before commenting on each reply I need to clarify some points. Perhaps I should have provided more details in my initial post but indeed the question is more focused in the pixel size shown in the screen during the gameplay than other things like the aspect ratio or the exact proportion, in which doesn't matter too much because these are things that can be granularly adjusted through the level sprites or in the video.txt.

About the enemy amount I'm already following the classics, where SOR2/SOR3 are limited to around 4-5 enemies at once in most parts and SOR1 is accumulative to around 10, same as the original games. So, even if I reduce the space in the screen using a width of 396, it is still bigger than the original width of 320.

Compared with SOR4, the SORX using 396x224 is similar in many aspects, including the character's size on the screen.

Side by side comparison of SORX using 396x224 and SOR4 original resolution.
1693432399787.png1693432469156.png

SORX current 480x272
1693432331102.png

In my first video the camera cuts upper/lower parts but if any changes were made certainly I would edit all level sprites to fit correctly on the screen. During the game development most panels were created with a height of 276 (272 + 4 for quake), I ripped all level sprites directly from the original games and in fact the original height is 224, not 272. The current visual may look original after countless refiniments, but indeed it was totally edited to fit the 272 and in case I change it to 224 I'm just backing to the original.

But I think it might be better if you make it a separate version of the game, maybe have a second exe to launch because it will change the entire gameplay completely
Unfortunately it's not possible to have two exe using the same pak file because all the assets would be edited, not only the resolution. However, maybe making the opposite could solve the problem, having two pak versions with the same exe, but at the cost of doubling all the work at every update too.

One thing I really struggle with is which resolution to use,Original widescreen will play faster and harder because you have less reaction time and space to maneuver and plot strategy, things will happen on screen quicker too because there's less space to see it coming, little things like that change the gameplay.
Yeah, certainly it changes a lot in the gameplay, I totally agree.

everything will become more crowded and chaotic on the field
A valid point for 3-4 players, even with the current resolution sometimes I have chaotic playthroughs with my friends. However, for 1-2 players it's better than the original due to the extra widescreen size.

New 224-lines widescreen do not return to the original vanilla pixels
But it's certainly closer than the 272, giving a more original feeling too.

3. Nowadays, most games are played on 2k, 4k resolution, at least 1920x1080.and large-size screens. Reducing the vertical resolution will increase the magnification of the image, resulting the characters to scale magnify more on the screen,but the pixels of the current character are not enough, sometimes we have to use the third-party shaders to conceal blemishes (such as reshade). Lower vertical resolution of bor means greater magnification on the screen. Will cause more detailed defects to be magnified. This leads to a decline in the overall visual experience.
Another valid point too that has two sides. In smaller screens the experience is worse than the classics due to everything small on the screen, but in bigger screens it's better than the classics due to many more details on the screen, plus more info through texts too.

hell , if you can you can have both versions, but it is kind of a pain to adjust add and subtract to convert the spawns, so i guess updating some of your lots of custom scripts would be also another pain
Yeah, it's a hard decision. Maybe having two versions may be the best solution even if all the work becomes doubled.

Unless the characters are large like Kof, a small resolution is suitable for games with characters that are small compared to the resolution. And the background and objects will match accordingly, making production easy.
A valid point, KOF/SF characters are usually bigger and looks better even with smaller resolutions. On the other hand, SOR characters usually already are smaller like @oldys said.

I'm still torn haha, the pros/cons are very close but your points helped me to see more clearly.

Another thing I've learned during the tests that I didn't know before, we can control the black borders with granular adjustments in the video.txt instead of using the predefined options from 1-6. As an example, if I define the resolution to 400x224 the black borders will disappear but the stretch option will make it exceed the screen size.

Enlarging images on larger screens when using a lower resolution will degrade the visual experience.
A valid point, I would need to rescale many images like the ones used in the select screen, losing some quality due to the bigger pixels

Maintaining compatibility with SOR2X's resolution ensures seamless integration of assets from the previous game into the new one.
This is a "plus" point that is discretely intentional haha, in fact I want to break the compatibility with the SOR2X to turn harder the usage of SORX content into it.

Yeah, it's a hard decision. Maybe having two versions may be the best solution even if all the work becomes doubled.

if i had more ability, i would make many versions

one for 4:3 monitors, a 16:9 version, and an ultrawide version

since the game-play experience no doubt changes with the aspect ratios, i consider it a plus and one more "excuse" to re-play the game

to make it easier tho - i would concentrate my resources and focus on one, program the easiest parts, like the level text files in all 3 or 4 versions to get them out of the way for later implementatiuon, launch your main version and later concentrate on the ultrawide, 4:3, etc scripts and adjustments

how would i pick which is main?

depends, do you think that the majority of players will use their mobile phones to play the game?
then program the game with the most common aspect ratio of the cell phones, which is wider than 16:9

from google: "The major aspect ratio in use on smartphones right now are: 16:9, 18:9, 19:9 and 19.5:9. That being said, 20:9 is fast becoming the norm these days as screens are growing taller and taller."

as far as monitors for gamers:
"Most monitors and TVs today have an aspect ratio of 16:9 (Widescreen), and we are seeing more and more gaming monitors getting a 21:9 aspect ratio, also referred to as UltraWide. There are also several monitors with a 32:9 aspect ratio, or 'Super UltraWide."

i would like to see the sprites of the characters as big as the originals on full screen mode, so you would have to experiment and see how to keep the vertical pixels the same and only adjust the horizontal resolution accordingly -

if your chosen aspect ratio and main focus device has problems displaying,
black bars or level "fillers" and or adjustments will have to do for full screen mode and then the choice will be to either "zoom in or zoom" out...

20:9 resolution modern cell phones 224 h by 497.78 w

21:9 resolution gaming monitors 224 h by 522.67 w

im wondering if a menu could be scripted to actually allow players to modify the video.txt values a little bit, so it allows for growth or shrink of the horizontal

I usually prefer to see the characters in "big" because of my love for pixels and art in general.
But the feeling of having a lot of space around is great too...

This is a really interesting question.
I cannot decide.
The idea is very good...

@Kratus
Did you do some tests to see the game in action with smaller space?

In the smaller version, I think the up horizontal black bar is too much.
I need to make more adjustments in the levels yet, I only changed the video.txt. Maybe I will create an alternative version with a different resolution just for comparison and launch here.

I usually prefer to see the characters in "big" because of my love for pixels and art in general.
But the feeling of having a lot of space around is great too...

This is a really interesting question.
I cannot decide.
The idea is very good...
Yeah, I share the same love for pixels haha. It's really hard to decide.

-----------
I was able to extract a lot of useful information from all the opinions posted, thank you very much for all your time helping me to decide :)
For now we can stay in the current resolution at least until the next beta is launched with the latest fixes. Due to the poll result I see that many people like the game in the current one and I think the best way is by creating a separate version for the 396x224, which may be more helpful to decide (or maybe maintaining both).

Back
Top Bottom