• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Character Blinking

AkuShadow

Im editing a game someone stopped making a long time ago. Just want to make a small edit. How do make the characters blink like the classic nes bosses?

when it comes to openbor

i am rusty on the manual stuff, but i think that you have to make a palette and then in the character's .txt fle you implement it

with this:

dying {remap} {health1} {health2}

• If this entity's health drops to or below {health1}, they will flash between their normal pallete and the {remap} pallete.
  • If their health drops to or below {health2}, they flash even faster.

when it comes to openbor

i am rusty on the manual stuff, but i think that you have to make a palette and then in the character's .txt fle you implement it

with this:

dying {remap} {health1} {health2}

• If this entity's health drops to or below {health1}, they will flash between their normal pallete and the {remap} pallete.
  • If their health drops to or below {health2}, they flash even faster.
hmm, I dont see that in the characters text files. I wanted to see if there was an example in there already I could use as some bosses have the blinking already but not all of them. Also I was thinking of adding this as an effect of a move or some other maybe a blinking color when being in a certain part of an animation.

I wanted to see if there was an example in there already I could use as some bosses have the blinking already but not all of them.

Most if not all games I've made have blinking feature for enemies.
If you need examples, you can try :
1. Robz Rush , boss rush game with upgrade system.
2. Tanks vs Tanks, defense game similar to Plants vs Zombies.
3. Fruits Survivor, game inspired by Vampire Survivor featuring fruits.

#2 doesn't have bosses but enemies and NPCs use same blinking script with bosses in #1, #3 and my other games with bosses.

hmm, I dont see that in the characters text files. I wanted to see if there was an example in there already I could use as some bosses have the blinking already but not all of them. Also I was thinking of adding this as an effect of a move or some other maybe a blinking color when being in a certain part of an animation.
It's a level feature. You have to use it on the enemy spawn on the level, like this:

spawn Whirlwind 1
boss 1
coords 600 200
health 400
2phealth 600
dying 3 200 100 2
at 1320

And yeah, you character needs to have it on its header:

palette data/chars/bosses/whirlwind/id.gif
alternatepal data/chars/bosses/whirlwind/pal2.gif
alternatepal data/chars/bosses/whirlwind/palhit.gif
alternatepal data/chars/bosses/whirlwind/purple.gif
alternatepal data/chars/bosses/whirlwind/freeze.gif

On my Avengers game, the bosses starts to blink in purple when in low health, and then starts to blink in red and more frequently when in very low life, kida like some Capcom beat em ups. But the colors are up to you.

Last edited:
Most if not all games I've made have blinking feature for enemies.
If you need examples, you can try :
1. Robz Rush , boss rush game with upgrade system.
2. Tanks vs Tanks, defense game similar to Plants vs Zombies.
3. Fruits Survivor, game inspired by Vampire Survivor featuring fruits.

#2 doesn't have bosses but enemies and NPCs use same blinking script with bosses in #1, #3 and my other games with bosses.
Thanks for these. I'll look at them and test.

Edit: I looked. all these games have it scripted in. Thanks for the help. I have very little knowledge of scripting but I will try to figure it out.

Last edited:
It's a level feature. You have to use it on the enemy spawn on the level, like this:

And yeah, you character needs to have it on its header:

On my Avengers game, the bosses starts to blink in purple when in low health, and then starts to blink in red and more frequently when in very low life, kida like some Capcom beat em ups. But the colors are up to you.
So it wouldnt be possible to use this for a charge animation or specific attack?

Edit: I didnt see it in the character file but I looked in the stage files and found it. Thank you. I modded your game a long time ago just to add some colors. but I thought the game was cancelled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom