• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

SORX - Question about load/save feature

How often do you use the save/load option in SORX?

• I never used it.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I use it sometimes.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I use it all the time.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kratus

OpenBOR Developer
Staff member
I'm thinking about the importance of the save/load feature in SORX and I would like to know the community's opinion.

I usually have 2 hours to play a game in a day usually I get 3 days a week, those 2 hours are split into 30 minute sessions so I definitely need the save features, the SORX Shiva run took me two days to record.

If I didn't have that feature I probably wouldn't play it, one of my actual pet peeves in games is restarting from the beginning of the level, I just don't have time for it as an adult.

I like save game as a concept - but not the engine's native version. That's one of those thigns that's pretty much impossible to handle correctly as a native feature, and the various issues encounted by people using it are proof. IMO adding it was one of the biggest mistakes we made. I'd reccomend using filestreams instead.

DC

I usually have 2 hours to play a game in a day usually I get 3 days a week, those 2 hours are split into 30 minute sessions so I definitely need the save features, the SORX Shiva run took me two days to record.

If I didn't have that feature I probably wouldn't play it, one of my actual pet peeves in games is restarting from the beginning of the level, I just don't have time for it as an adult.
Yeah, it's really a good point. In this case I will maintain the save feature, even if I create some custom way.

I like save game as a concept - but not the engine's native version. That's one of those thigns that's pretty much impossible to handle correctly as a native feature, and the various issues encounted by people using it are proof. IMO adding it was one of the biggest mistakes we made. I'd reccomend using filestreams instead.

DC
I think the same as you, and after the last report I received from @neon5916 about loading a cleared game and counting as a finished game, I'm thinking of using filestreams to create a custom save/load feature. The only problem is, these files can be easily cheated by people, I need first to make a way to lock, hide or encrypt it.

Yeah, it's really a good point. In this case I will maintain the save feature, even if I create some custom way.

I think the same as you, and after the last report I received from @neon5916 about loading a cleared game and counting as a finished game, I'm thinking of using filestreams to create a custom save/load feature. The only problem is, these files can be easily cheated by people, I need first to make a way to lock, hide or encrypt it.

I haven't written an implementation yet or I'd give it to you, but my own plan was to use bitshift and hex codes, then add a check sum. Easily breakable by someone who knows what they're doing, but an impassible roadblock for the quick and dirty cheaters.

DC

I haven't written an implementation yet or I'd give it to you, but my own plan was to use bitshift and hex codes, then add a check sum. Easily breakable by someone who knows what they're doing, but an impassible roadblock for the quick and dirty cheaters.

DC
Hex codes are an interesting idea, if I'm not wrong the old secure pack code works this way by reversing the password string order and then converting to hex. I will do some tests, thanks for the idea.

Hex codes are an interesting idea, if I'm not wrong the old secure pack code works this way by reversing the password string order and then converting to hex. I will do some tests, thanks for the idea.

Yes, and OpenBOR script can read hexadecimal numbers (although it can't write them unless you script a numeric to text converter). That right there will put an instant stop to a lot of cheaters.

DC

just my two cents:

1 - i like it because i can continue later at a different time,
2- There are some games that are tough as nails, and a lot of people will just quit, adding the save feature was beneficial, because other-wise lots of people will miss out

Konami knew that if a game is tough , you usually give players a password system or a cheat code to get lives, most players i have known have the tendency of beating a 60+ minute game in one seating after playing the game for the 4th time using saves or codes...

i would like to find out how the engine could save current state and position of a sound-track tho

I though that it only works in the rgbcolorfunction.

Not at all. Any numeric parameter in any function will accept a correctly formatted hexadecimal input, and by extension that means you can read them from filestreams.

DC

I usually have 2 hours to play a game in a day usually I get 3 days a week, those 2 hours are split into 30 minute sessions so I definitely need the save features, I just don't have time for it as an adult.
I've got double maybe triple that so Lucky me :giggle:

*btw (oot) I want quick save (save every where) feature

I've got double maybe triple that so Lucky me :giggle:

*btw (oot) I want quick save (save every where) feature

If I choose less sleep I can get extra hours 🤣 I either go to sleep late or wake up super early but I usually reserve that for the weekend and other hobbies. Save state feature would be great but only on games where the levels are long, I think for SORX save anywhere feature would NOT be a good idea.

If I choose less sleep I can get extra hours 🤣 I either go to sleep late or wake up super early but I usually reserve that for the weekend and other hobbies. Save state feature would be great but only on games where the levels are long, I think for SORX save anywhere feature would NOT be a good idea.
bah - amateurs

try not sleeping for days because your body gets so uncomfortable/painful you can't rest at all...
(it really messes with how you manage/use your "free time")
i wish i had regular sleep cycles tho, mind is less cluttered after a good rest.

anyway , as for save states, i appreciate them very much, it helps on the developer side of things a bit when you are combing trough stuff or testing certain things - i know they are helpful when developing texture packs .

@machok , theoretically, you can have save states if you play openbor games in an emulated windows xp/7 machine, just be prepared with extra 500mb or so everytimt you use it 😫

no windows 10?
i have run 7 using 7 in virtualbox, but who knows how openbor would perform ....

w 10 runing virtual w 10? perhaps it might run openbor well in a machine that is not older than 5 years ago, you can even try an optimized windows 10 for gaming - like this one

i had another iso with a similar "optimized" system.. but i cant remeber if it was win8 or 7, i ran them becasue of the weird ACdsee phenomenon i cant figure out on this blasted machine...

Back
Top Bottom