• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

I've never encountered this before

I have a sprite sheet collection that was pulled from Ninja Saviors and the sprite sheets and palettes appear to be separated so the sprite sheets are in black and white. I use Gimp primarily and I have no clue how to apply the color palette to the sheet. The palettes are in the same folder and are labeled as luts.

Here are the files please help me figure this out.

Link removed. - potential virus threat.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Link removed due to a potential virus threat. As for applying palettes, they all work basically the same way. Open the palette editor for b&w image and load one of the LUT files.

DC

Just to add, when you do upload files only post what's necessary, I saw the file contained over 250 files to try and make sense of and I immediately put it in the recycling bin. When helping each other please bare in mind no one what's to go through all those excess files just in case they missed something when giving an answer and also it's just polite for many reasons, one being because some of us have limited bandwidth.

Why would I want to share a virus? Its a sprite sheet collection.

That's what I thought and tried but it didn't work.

Technically any upload is a virus threat if you think about it. Especially openbor executibles.
Link removed due to a potential virus threat. As for applying palettes, they all work basically the same way. Open the palette editor for b&w image and load one of the LUT files.

DC

Why would I want to share a virus? Its a sprite sheet collection.

That's what I thought and tried but it didn't work.

Technically any upload is a virus threat if you think about it. Especially openbor executibles.

Are you seriously trying to turn a virus alert into a semantic argument? If something triggers an alarm, I'm not going to spend time verifying when there are thousands just like it that don't.

Find an example that doesn't cause a problem and we'll be glad to have another look.

DC

Are you seriously trying to turn a virus alert into a semantic argument? If something triggers an alarm, I'm not going to spend all verifying when there are thousands just like it that don't.

Find an example that doesn't cause a problem and we'll be glad to have another look.

DC
I'm definitely not starting an argument. I was simply implying on my behalf that what I shared was not a virus.

No harm done. Its been removed so problem solved.

I'm definitely not starting an argument. I was simply implying on my behalf that what I shared was not a virus.

No harm done. Its been removed so problem solved.

Fair enough, and sorry if I came out harsh. I never thought you were doing anything bad on purpose, I just have to be pretty firm on stuff like that. Try to find another example with a LUT, or send us some screenshots on GIMP of your issues. Maybe we can figure it out that way.

Up front, I'm a Photoshop guy, so I may not have much to offer, but we have plenty of Gimp people here who should be able to jump in and offer some advice.

DC

Fair enough, and sorry if I came out harsh. I never thought you were doing anything bad on purpose, I just have to be pretty firm on stuff like that. Try to find another example with a LUT, or send us some screenshots on GIMP of your issues. Maybe we can figure it out that way.

Up front, I'm a Photoshop guy, so I may not have much to offer, but we have plenty of Gimp people here who should be able to jump in and offer some advice.

DC
It's okay. I could imagine that most of us are that go as far back as the NES and Dreamcast are becoming old and grumpy including myself. :) Personally, I go as far back as the Commodore 64 and the Aquarius.

Lets try this again.

Here are two images from the collection for example. No compressed files this time.

Sprite Sheet

and the Lut for this Sprite Sheet

Photoshop and Gimp have a lot in common so if you are able to solve this issues in Photoshop then I should hopefully be able to replicate your steps.

Thanks

I had a play around but the LUT is just for reference and not a file that can be applied to the sprite sheet, it's a png, but maybe it's beyond my understanding or a different program is needed, you can make your own palettes I suppose but the sprite sheets themselves are not very friendly to work with.

I had a play around but the LUT is just for reference and not a file that can be applied to the sprite sheet, it's a png, but maybe it's beyond my understanding or a different program is needed, you can make your own palettes I suppose but the sprite sheets themselves are not very friendly to work with.

Yeah, I cant make perfect sense of it either. It seems like the solution is tedious. I was able to add color but it looks horrible. I contacted the source where I obtained the sprite sheets and his reply was /color/map/change color.

In the video you can see his sprite sheet opened and it looks good.

I've always liked the Ninja Warriors and have always thought of them as part of (SOR) Zan's buddies. I think It would be cool to he have Zan fight a long side them.

I see he posted a walk-through of the process. Looks like you just have to adjust the mask, and then exchange the colors individually. Kind of tedius, but not all that bad really.

DC

When I have some free time this week I will follow the process and work on converting these sprites to what I am used to.

Thanks Everyone

Curiosity got the better of me with this technique, I've never seen it before and I didn't know how it worked so thought I'd try it out, I made some sheets you can have to get you started.

uTUyiiZ.png

Xw4OBx1.png

MbChRXu.png

Back
Top Bottom