• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

New Toxic Crusaders Beat'em Up Game!!

Interesting... Looks like just like SOR4 graphics bring a trend for other beats to follow the style,
TMNT Revenge of Shredder brings a trend of similar graphic style...
I would not mind seeing many other games with this style.

I already heard about this "Toxic Crusaders" "name"... Just the name.
But never watched or saw anything about it.
Not really my kind of characters design, but it can be fun.
Particularly if it can be modded just like Turtle game.

I have about as much interest in this as watching paint dry, but the sprite-work is really nice.

I can't figure out how these developers are able to crank out sprites so quickly in the last couple of years. Maybe they're just cell shaded polygon models, but it sure looks like traditional pre-rendered sprite art to me, and if it is I'd love to know what tools they're using to get so much done so fast.

DC

Reactions: NED
I have about as much interest in this as watching paint dry, but the sprite-work is really nice.

I can't figure out how these developers are able to crank out sprites so quickly in the last couple of years. Maybe they're just cell shaded polygon models, but it sure looks like traditional pre-rendered sprite art to me, and if it is I'd love to know what tools they're using to get so much done so fast.

DC
No 3D base I think. They are way too lively / extensible (or something like that)
But what I observed is the method of spriting is not that long to produce in this style. (It DOESN'T mean it's bad at all)
-Almost flat colors with outlines and simple shading (in turtles)
-Drawn sprites for Sor4
Both gives good result, but are way simplier to produce than any classy way to sprite and make the shading etc.
Final Vendetta took a big risk to aim for classic / kof style sprites (because it's long and tedious)

And sooo true about the :
"cookie cutter Castle Crashers combo-fest."

So that's the gameplay, looks basic and decent but has juggling and ability to lift and grab fallen opponents. Players can't stomp or attack fallen opponents though, at least in the video.

Toxic Crusaders demo released and I gave it a try:

It's a nice game and has potential, but there are some stuff to improve, like how the characters throw stuff.
It's time to people gave me spotlight to games done using OpenBOR, because I've seen better mechanics done by OpenBOR coders :)

Back
Top Bottom