• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.
Avengers United Battle Force

In Progress Avengers United Battle Force 2.7.41

No permission to download
The project is currently under development.
oh thanks for the nice words, buddy. Means a lot to me, really.

I was supposed to update this game at the end of last year, but my personal life turned upside down at the end of the year (and this year things are still complicated).

My plans, initially, are:
- finish the Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 update somewhere around the end of January / beginning of February.
- Update Avengers by the second half of this year
- Try to release a public demo of Power Rangers in December.
Additionally, I work on 2 other side projects, but I haven't revealed them yet. But I barely have time to touch them :(

I still have to release the 3 projects for version 3 of OpenBOR. Only after releasing these 3 do I intend to migrate to version 4.

Regarding the story, it probably won't have a story - or it will have a provisional story, as the final villain was never the Red Skull. But I can use this as something interim.

The last thing I did for the project was this level - I had the idea of adding different bosses at this stage, but that would cost me a lot of time. Maybe Jhfer will help me with this:
View attachment 6788
(and yeah, the obstacles are too big)

Thank you very much for your constant support.
Man, I can't wait to play this game!

I have one question. How were you able to squeeze the size of your game down to 63 mbs? Your game has a lot of levels sond characters. Are you using a special program to get reduce the game file size?
Optimization, I am addicted to it :)

Some tricks I used on this game:
- many sounds are in 8bit (but I will need to change then to 16bit soon, so the size would be bigger) using 11khz or 22khz, in mono.
- I compress all my music in OGG using this trick (I am set the quality to 1).

Doing those two things alone already saves a lot of space. You can use some tools to inspect what is consuming too much space in your mod. You can inspect the result of this here: In Progress - Art of Fighting: Trouble In Southtown

Other things I do to save space:
- I don't use videos. Unless I really need to. GIFs are way smaller, specially if you have big resolutions
- Unless the a music to have some stereo panning, I use my musics in mono, as streo would consume twice the space, in most cases.
I know some people is afraid of this (I remember last time I talked about this), but a mono music nowadays is different from a mono music in 70s: all the instruments will sound the same, in both sides of the speakers, and not in just one.
- Reuse entities. If I have two different effects (which aren't a hitflash) that are always loaded in the memory and they are from the same type (like NONE), why having two different entities hanging on the memory? Ok, its something like 2kb for a new entity, but a save is a save*

* you have to think about it carefully, or you would have the opposite effect.

I know this isn't the right place to talk about this subject, but I wanna hear your inputs.

Someone brought me an important point that I think makes sense and I wanted to know your opinion: Wouldn't it be problematic for Sabra to remain in this project? She is an Israeli character, who is part of the Mossad (Israeli Secret Service).

pal1.gif

It's not just the fact that she's Jewish (because I added Colossus to the game during the Russian war), but the fact that she's part of the Israeli army.I think this is a very sensitive issue and it makes sense for her to be removed from the project, even if just for now.

It's not just the fact that she's Jewish (because I added Colossus to the game during the Russian war), but the fact that she's part of the Israeli army.I think this is a very sensitive issue and it makes sense for her to be removed from the project, even if just for now.

I think that's entirely subjective. All I can offer is my own perspective.

To me, it's a balance. I don't spout off my political opinions in public venues, nor would I go out of my way to put something in any of my projects just to cause controversy. However, I would also never for a hot second allow a topical issue to control my work. If someone doesn't like it, I'm not forcing them to consume it.

So, my advice: If including or excluding something is personally important to YOU, then so be it. It's your project, and you should do what you feel is right. However, if you're just trying to cater to what you think others would find offensive, that's not a sustainable doctrine. Those goalposts are forever moving, and as a lot of entities are discovering, in the long term you lose a lot more audience than you gain.

DC

I know this isn't the right place to talk about this subject, but I wanna hear your inputs.

Someone brought me an important point that I think makes sense and I wanted to know your opinion: Wouldn't it be problematic for Sabra to remain in this project? She is an Israeli character, who is part of the Mossad (Israeli Secret Service).

View attachment 7209

I'm with DC's opinion, if you are not comfotable having her, just remove. It's your game.

About the logic involved we can look for examples in some official games. The COD series never removed their n@zi zombies, in the Age of Empires series I never knew a single civilization removed. I mentioned these games because both are directly involved in real wars, which is not the case of your game.

Honestly I never knew that she was a part of the Israeli Secret Service, maybe a lot of other players don't know too or don't care about it, just want to have fun and enjoy the game. But the final decision is only yours.

View attachment 7209

Perhaps add a content warning before starting the game about Sabra?

Warning: The following game is a work of fiction. The authors do not endorse Mossad or any other part of the Israeli army; the character “Sabra” is a fictional character introduced in 1980, chosen for her unique gameplay, and any resemblance to the real Mossad organization is “scenes a faire”, not intended to glorify the real organization nor offend anyone.

A similar warning could be done for Colossus, and certain Hydra-related (especially directly Axis-connected) bosses.

Last edited:
even if just for now.

The problem is now, by the time you remove her and release something they'll be a new enemy in the real world for us to focus on, separate us and divide us socially.

same applies if you focused on Colossus and posted about him and made it a thing during the start of the Russian war on Ukraine a couple years ago or a character who spreads a virus during the coronavirus a couple years before that.

I can promise you no one will care a year from now, they don't really care now to be honest, they just pretend to and it's in that pretending is where I lose respect for people.

When the lore of fictional characters becomes a real world problem you have to really question what that really is about. lets not allow creativity (art, music etc) to be further stomped into the ground by politicians and their politics.

Perhaps add a content warning before starting the game about Sabra?

Warning: The following game is a work of fiction. The authors do not endorse Mossad or any other part of the Israeli army; the character “Sabra” is a fictional character introduced in 1980, chosen for her unique gameplay, and any resemblance to the real Mossad organization is “scenes a faire”, not intended to glorify the real organization nor offend anyone.

A similar warning could be done for Colossus, and certain Hydra-related (especially directly Axis-connected) bosses.
Hell no! I humbly believe this is not a good idea. You see, when you put a warning like that, all of a sudden your raise the issue!

Honest persons might ask a ton of questions. Even worse, malevolent people might even try to start a shitstorm on the social network (reddit,...).

So instead of playing a wonderful game which is just about super heroes, it suddenly becomes a political subject. No sane dev would like something like that.

It's not about taking sides in this conflict, it's about making a game for everybody, not polarize your fanbase. It's a tough choice. Keep her or remove her but no need to make a fuss about it.

Edit: Captain America 4, release date Feb 14 2025, will feature Sabra and the controversy about Marvel has started already two years ago: Captain America 4 Concern (variety.com)

@Miru, my dear: I love your quality input here in chronocrash, it's just that I respectfully disagree with you on this one. (y)

Thank you for all your input. Certainly, this would be done based, firstly, on what bothers me, trying to take other people's opinions into account when I think the subject calls for it.

An example was Zack's redesign in the Power Rangers game: I always found the way they designed the Black Ranger in the SNES game a bit racist, so I made a point of consulting with a black friend* about this, who guided me through specific points, such as skin color (which is extremely difficult).

Consulting with friends who specialize in comics (since I don't know the character very well), I discovered that the character would not be in favor of genocide of innocents, as it goes against everything she believes in. And her son was killed in a bomber.

She is linked to the game's story (she is the one who discovers the Sentinels' base) and she has the role of the game's healer. She would not appear as playable in the next update, only in cutscenes. So, for now, I will leave this matter as it is.

Regarding the example you gave about n@zi, there is this type of character in the game - but they are villains. I would never put a character like that as a hero.

*I said "black friend" here just to give context, I don't classify my friends by race, sexual orientation, etc. They are my friends, simply put.

Hell no! I humbly believe this is not a good idea. You see, when you put a warning like that, all of a sudden your raise the issue!
I totally agree with this. I would be putting the cat out of the bag.

So instead of playing a wonderful game which is just about super heroes, it suddenly becomes a political subject
Super heroes ARE political subjects to beging with :)

It's not about taking sides in this conflict, it's about making a game for everybody, not polarize your fanbase. It's a tough choice. Keep her or remove her but no need to make a fuss about it.
Although I do have a side on this conflict, this is why I havent't gone for social media asking for this, instead I've posted in smaller places to get people's opinion about that.

Edit: Captain America 4, release date Feb 14 2025, will feature Sabra and the controversy about Marvel has started already two years ago
I highly doubt they will do it.

Thanks!

The big difference is that Colossus isn’t waving a flag on his chest and he’s not part of any involvement with Russian government/army, that I’m aware of.
That’s why nobody has any problem with Magneto who is a jew. Yes he’s generally a villain, but even if you make him playable as a hero (age of apocalypse or wherever) nobody will complain.
Nazis is a different thing because it’s generally accepted they were the bad guys and it’s part of a war that’s been decades ago so not comparable with a current issue, but if you bring a super”hero”(not a villain) called “thirdreichter” just to put an example, people will complain. But if you bring any nazi character as villain (hatemonger etc) nobody will bait an eye, as it’s already the case with red skull.

It’s your game and your decision. As others here already commented, i would personally not pound to others about my art, but if you feel uncomfortable, you should see the positive vs the negative on having such character. But be aware that it will probably cause some controversy once the game will get more popular.
As Kratus said, if you feel uncomfortable on having her, just remove her. But despise your decision, don’t put a warning or anything like that.

Leave her in the game. No reason to remove a character based on his or her origin. It's like removing somebody just because their beliefs. The only important thing is: is she important to the game? If so leave her be. Same would apply to muslim, Christian or any other chars.

Here comes a longplay using all the XMen characters on the game Avengers United Battle Force. Thanks Lonchi for teaming with me by Parsec :)

Full video:

Note: after recording some videos, I felt that the change in the way MP is recharged (only by hitting enemies) was holding the game back, as you can see in some fights like against Trapster. It was a stupid decision on my part, but it's part of the process of developing a game - learning from your own mistakes :)

This has now been corrected and reverted to how it was before: you recharge MP over time, with items and, for some characters, with a command.

Leave her in the game. No reason to remove a character based on his or her origin. It's like removing somebody just because their beliefs. The only important thing is: is she important to the game? If so leave her be. Same would apply to muslim, Christian or any other chars.
I would remove anyone based on his beliefs if they beliefs are harmfull to others, like n@zist.

Back
Top Bottom